Word copying Scrivener?

I just saw an offer for an outliner for Word - aimed at authors with large projects. Took a look at the page and thought I was looking at Scrivener’s corkboard and Binder!!!

Yeah, what’s really funny to me is that the seller of that plug-in charges more than Scrivener costs.

That looks to be almost a blatant ripoff of Scrivener. How close to one program does another have to get before it’s considered copyright infringement?

You have to actually copy the code to break copyright. The courts have determined that software “look and feel” cannot be copyrighted. Granted, Scrivener has borrowed concepts from a few sources–full screen (win)/composition mode (mac) is something Keith gives credit to another program for coming up with first. Still doesn’t make it right to use someone else’s overall design as if it’s your own, but there’s nothing illegal (in the U.S., anyway) about it. If it were illegal, then Storyist wouldn’t be allowed to continue parroting Scrivener.

This is an add in to keep an eye on for serious Word users.
Seems to do most of what Scrivener does without the hassle of moving files and issues with photos within a file, etc…

Jim

If you’re talking about writing outliner I saw it. Similarly priced

Really does look like a rip off. EXCEPT

1. I don’t think it has a Final Draft .fdx export/import (MOST important to screenwriters)

2. I didn’t see the importing of photos, movies and music. (could be there, didn’t study the entire website)

I consider Scrivener to be the equivalent of Photoshop and Final Draft
as with PS & FD, there are many imitators, but nothing beats those three for me.

As it’s similarly priced, I don’t think its going to be serious competition for Scrivener. If it were a $10-15 buck plug in, it might.

I’d still recommend Scrivener even to non-screenwriters

It’s a rip-off. The ad that I saw had typos and spelling errors, and that sets alarm bells ringing for me. It indicates an unprofessional approach, which probably applies to the product as well.

Actually, I think the typos and spelling errors are because It’s a Chinese rip-off (at least the original one was) … surprise, surprise.

Mr X

the one I saw was at a standard website. ( writingoutliner (dot) com )
I saw no typos. It may be a rip-off. But still does NOT compare in features to Scrivener

I’m not going to get into whether it’s US Chinese, or Venusian. I don’t disparage an entire country because some people steal.

After all, I’m in the US which has Goldman Sacks. You can’t get bigger more brazen thieves than that. And they haven’t stopped.

I don’t condemn a whole country on those grounds either, but I’ve spent the last 13 years in China, where I have many, many friends, and where my job revolved around trying to sort out English written by Chinese people. And in China, nobody, not even my friends, will pay for software if they can find a pirate version, and IP rights is only honoured in the breach … and the first Windows Word rip-off of Scrivener, was done by someone in China.

Mr X

How much have Chinese ripped off in comparison to Wall Street?
I know many native born Chinese. None of them steal

Actually, I agree with you about Wall Street, and none of the Chinese people I know … and my friends in China, with the exception of two, are all Chinese … and none of them steal in the normal sense of the word; but every single one of them will look for pirated versions of software, rather than buy a legit copy. This includes, university lecturers and professors, people working in the media, and my thousands of former students, now working in all kinds of jobs.

The MacBook Air is selling like hot cakes in China; the dealers either install pirated versions of Office and Photoshop, or they simply use Windows under BootCamp, and if you ask why, they say “There isn’t any software for the Mac system.” What they mean is, they can’t find pirated versions of software running on OS-X, apart from those, whereas they can find pirated versions of any software they want for Windows … and they will admit that freely if asked.

And I’m talking about lovely, generous, warm-hearted people whom I care about deeply. In China, people talk about IPR, but just like regulations of any kind, IPR is something to be ignored if you can get away with it. For large swathes of the population, the mind-set is, “Rules and regulations are great, but they don’t apply to me.”

Mr X

Edited once to add a bit more.

I will not get into this