Word Count Calendar

One of my favorite things about Nanowrimo is their word count tracker. I would love if Scrivener would include something like this in their program. I would love to see how many words I wrote in one day or see when was the last time I sat down and really focused on my work. Sometimes it only seems like a couple of days and then you realize two weeks have passed. Anything that keeps me a little more accountable would be lovely. Thank you!

It’s not quantity, but quality that matters.

It’s coming: [url]word count history]

The first improves the second. The more you write, the better you get.

That is not true at all, as far as it goes. I know too many people who write faithfully every day, thousands and thousands of words, and never get better.

To get better, you have to be a failure. You have to write, and then you have to take a hard critical look at what you wrote, what parts of it work, and what parts of it don’t. You have to be honest about the broken bits and challenge yourself to write just beyond your level to fix them.

As with anything, you have to write mindfully and on the edge of your comfort zone in order to get better.

If there is a word count counter, I hope we have the option to turn it on or off. I’d find it rather distracting ultimately.

I agree with Devin, that writing more doesn’t equate to writing better; and one does not follow the other.

“Write more” is pretty standard writing advice. I guess I just assumed it went without saying that you have to learn from your mistakes, too. Assumed too much, from the sounds of it. :slight_smile: :wink:

On the contrary, it is very true. Everyone gets better with practise, and that goes for everything in life. BUT we don’t get equally good or better. Not everyone who practise running can become Usain Bolt, but everyone practising running will get better at running compared to if they hadn’t practised at all. How much better they become also depends on how they practise. You have to train not only stamina, but also technique. And it’s the same with writing. Just writing, without evaluating the results (i.e to be criticised, as Devinganger points out), won’t make you a nobel laureate.

Some fodder to chew over:
theguardian.com/books/2016/ … -metroland

Take care
Vic