Word count changes (a lot) when Scrivener crashes

A few times (over a period of months) Scrivener has crashed and my word count has suddenly increased by, say, 5000 words. I’m in the processes of editing an over-long story, so now I am not sure what my true word count is. The edits I’ve made (some at least) are still in the text, so I’m not sure what the word count is reflecting, or why it jumps.

Following a crash, pressing CMD ALT S on a re-opened project might be useful as it saves and rebuilds the project’s indexes.

Thanks, I’ve just tried but it hasn’t made any difference.

Hope someone else has a more useful idea for you.