word count difference from Scrivener 2 to Scrivener 3

I just upgraded from Scrivener 2 to Scrivener 3. When I open my draft, the word count in Scrivener 3 records a lesser word count than in Scrivener 2. Is this common? Or have I lost text? Why the difference?

You probably have not lost text.

If the difference is small, it is probably explained by a slight difference in counting algorithms between the two versions.

If the difference is large, check your Compile settings and the statistics options. Probably something is not being included in the Scrivener 3 count that was included in Scrivener 2.

If you haven’t already, please take a look at our upgrade guide for Scrivener 2 users. The Compile command has changed significantly, and you’re likely to see more differences than just the word count.
literatureandlatte.com/scri … date-guide

Katherine

The word count algorithm has indeed changed between Scrivener 2 and Scrivener 3. Scrivener 2 counted hyphenated words as separate words, which resulted in compounds such as “co-ordinated”, “semi-aquatic” and “inter-agency” being counted as two words. In Scrivener 3, hyphenated words such as these are counted as a single word.

All the best,
Keith

The manuscript was 146,000 words. In Scrivener 3, it is 1300 words less. The text seems to be the same. So I’m assuming the difference is in the method of the count that you suggested. I would say it’s an improved word counting method.

Thanks.

That could definitely account for it, if you have 1,300 hyphenated words, then that would reduce your word count by 1,300. You could always do a quick search on hyphens, and if you find a lot of hyphenated words, you’ll know that’s it. (The change came as a result of a number of user requests, the fact that the new counting method is standard in apps such as Word, and, most importantly, me finally working out how to adjust it!)

All the best,
Keith

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I’m having a similar problem having upgraded from v2 to v3 , except not only has my word count dropped (from 24,019 to 22,629), but the character count has too (142,874 to 135,491). Options are identical under both. I’ve tried looking at statistics under Compile, though I can’t find any options under v3 and those under v2 seem to be only set to exclude the title.
I’m using the non-fiction format in case that makes a difference.
I’m guessing its unlikely I have lost text given that I"m sure many others have been through the same process by now, but I am wondering what is happening and if I should be checking anything.

Update: would seem that words in anything with a subsection are not counted. Any suggestions for how to change this are welcome.

Words that are present but not counted are probably excluded by your Compile settings. You might want to take a look at our upgrade guide for Scrivener 2 users, which explains how to transition to the new Compile command:
literatureandlatte.com/scri … date-guide

Katherine