Word Count for Cursor Position

Greetings -
I’m wondering if there is a way to get a display of the word count from the beginning of the document (and Project) up until the cursor position.

Alternately, (and I suspect this is a case of my own inability to come to grips with the preferences tabs), is the a way to stop the scroll bar form disappearing when not in use in both the regular binder edit mode and the Scrivenings mode. (I know how to do this in full screen mode, but not when the binder is displayed).

I’m at the rewrite stage of my novel and would benefit from having these so as to pace things properly.

Thanks,

OAK

Hi,

You can get the word count of the selection, so if you just hit Shift + Page Up, this will select everything from the top of the document up to the cursor position, and the statistics in the footer bar will show you the word count for this selection. Then you can just hit the right arrow key to end the selection and place the cursor back where it was.

Regarding scroll bars, can I assume you are on Lion, and using a MacBook? I ask because Lion introduced new scroll bars which always hide when not used, and this is just a system setting. If you want to change it, you need to change it for the entire system. You can do so by going to your System Preferences, selecting the “General” pane, and selecting “Always” for the “Show scroll bars” setting.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks very much Keith - From your answer I’m presuming there is no way to get the word count of the cursor without selecting text - I presume you’re doing this to keep the software nimble. Your method will work just fine.

Yes, I am on Lion on a MacBook. Thanks for the System tip. It works precisely as you outlined.

Thanks again.

OAK

Hi,

Actually, there is a way (which I totally forgot!). Ctrl-click and select “Writing Tools” from the contextual menu. At the bottom of the Writing Tools submenu it shows the word and character count up to the cursor.

All the best,
Keith

Hi KB,

I was wondering if it also would be possible with the Windows version to get the word count for a selection. Do you know where I might find that? Perhaps I’m overlooking it, but I couldn’t find it in the footer or menus.

Thanks,

Hi Jura,

Right-click on the selected text - the word count for the selection appears at the bottom of the right-click menu in the Windows version.

All the best,
Keith

Ah that’s great! Thanks Keith. :slight_smile: