Word Count - Novel with Parts Template

So, I’m using the Novel with Parts Template for my epic fantasy series, although not quite as intended. I’m using the ‘parts’ as the individual books in the series. Book 1 is ready for me to send out to my beta readers next week.

While that is going on, I’m going to start on Book 2. I’d obviously like to monitor my word count I have a feeling it is going to be important since, for the first time I have a deadline, I want book 2, at this time next year to be at the same stage.

Is there a way I can reset the word count to only count the words in ‘book 2’ of the project (aka Part 2)? Its just I like the idea of having all three books in the series in the same project. I figure it will make referencing the details I need for book two from book one easier… if that makes any sense at all.

I do the same thing. :slight_smile: Here’s how to set your targets.

In your Project Targets dialog, click the Options… button, tick the “Count current compile group only” box, and click OK.

In the compile window, select the Part folder you want to track as the current compile group, then hold down the option key to turn the “Compile” button into a “Save” button. Click the save button. (see screenshot.) [If you’re still using Scrivener 2.x, the compile group selection is a bit easier to find. :slight_smile: Just open the compile dialog and it’s right at the top always. The option key technique works in S2, also.]

Now your project target will track your new book. If you need to re-compile your older book, be sure to fix the compile group after so you’re still tracking your new work.

Thank you Silver Dragon!!! That worked really well and was exactly what I wanted. :slight_smile:

You’re welcome!