word count of current location

Hi everyone,

I searched but could not find an answer to this.

I would like to know if there’s a way to know where one is in a document in terms of word count? That is, say I have a document that’s 10,000 words I’d like to be able to know at a given point where I am–am I at 6,000 of 10,000 or 500 of 10,000? This would be akin to knowing what page I am on in a Word document

If I am not being clear,apologies; if this is painfully obvious please gently let me know the answer.

Thanks

Not like in Word, you would need to select all of the documents up to the point you are working on (though at the document level, not within the document), and then use Project/Project Statistics in the selection portion of the pane.

Quick workaround:

cmd + shift + up arrow

will select all text from the cursor to the beginning of the currently open document. If you have a whole bunch of documents open as a composite, then the stats at the bottom will show you the word count of the selection, i.e., how far into a document you are at the point your cursor was when you hit the shortcut.

The cursor stays at the original point, so you can hit right arrow and it’ll leave the selection and return you to where you were.

Perfect–thanks to both of you!