Word count target for chapters

Dead simple idea, probably a bloody nightmare to implement so I throw it in as a suggestion nothing more. Word count targets for documents are nice. It would also be useful to me (in the particular project that seems to be developing right now) if there was a word count target for a chapter folder too.

Though I guess that is quite a complicate thing

There are a couple of ways of achieving this…

In Edit Scrivenings, the target uses the accumulated target for all of the documents in Edit Scrivenings. So, instead of setting targets for individual documents, you could just set the target on the enclosing folder document (switch it to text mode and send the target) and leave the targets for the constituent text documents as zero. Then, when you Edit Scrivenings on that folder, you will see immediately how far all the different documents within that folder have got you towards its target. You can do that right now in 1.5.

With 2.0, you’ll also be able to see this information in the outliner by turning on the “Total Word Count” column, which shows the word count of folders including subdocuments. (Although the target progress bar isn’t accumulative in outliner mode, you can just have the targets column open next to the total word count column.)

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

Aha! I somehow got in the habit of enclosing chapters/sections in folders not as parent documents. Now I do this I see it’s there already. Thanks, Keith. Do I lose anything by not having scenes inside folders instead of underneath master documents? I can’t see it myself. I ask this because I intend to use Scrivener to demo story structure at next month’s Book Passage Mystery Writers Conference it would be best to advice good practice!

I’m not quite sure what you mean… Could you post a blurry screenshot of your binder so I can see how you are going about it? I’m not sure what you mean by “master documents” - you should be able to do this whether the scenes are enclosed in a folder or inside a text document, so I’m a bit confused!
All the best,
Keith

If I do it with a folder the target button doesn’t seem to work. Before I had an enclosing folder called chapter. 1. Now I have a doc instead and scenes beneath it. Works fine.

It should work with an enclosing folder too - the only reason the button would be disabled is if it’s in an Edit Scrivenings session. Could it be that when you click on a folder you have it set up to enter Edit Scrivenings automatically?

Don’t waste lots of time on this Keith because it works fine with documents. But when I have a folder instead of a first level document I only see the target icon at the bottom if I am in Edit Scrivenings. But then if I click on the target icon it does nothing.

What if you’re not in Edit Scrivenings? If you show the text of the folder but aren’t in Edit Scrivenings, the target icon should be there - unless the folder is in scriptwriting mode for some reason, of course (not sure why it would be, though). Just to check

• In Preferences > Navigation, make sure that you don’t have it set to open folders in Edit Scrivenings. If you do, though, and like it that way, hold the Alt button down when selecting it in the binder (if folders aren’t set to open in Edit Scrivenings, then holding the Alt button down when selecting the folder will open it in E.S.; if folders are set to open in E.S., then holding Alt down when selecting the folder will force it not to open in E.S.
• Once you are sure that you are not in Edit Scrivenings mode, and not in corkboard or outliner mode, take a look at the footer. If the target button isn’t there, then there may be the scriptwriting pop-up on the right (the one that says “General” etc; if so, go to Text > Scriptwriting to turn off scriptwriting mode. (Mind you, I would only expect this to happen on one folder at most - you would have had to set scriptwriting manually).

Let me know if this helps.
All the best,
Keith

OK - now I see it. I thought folders were always either corkboard, outliner or edit scrivenings mode. I didn’t realise there was another

Ah! Yes, folders and text documents are actually no different at all, except that they have a different icon and open in a different mode by default - but all modes are available for either (2.0 will make this much more obvious). You can even convert between text files and folders using the Documents > Convert menu.
All the best,
Keith