Word Count Trouble

I have tried everything I can think of to fix it, but the total word count in my project will not update to reflect the new content I’ve added. It’s stuck at one number. Even though the daily count is showing up, the total word count is still the same. I have no idea what to do?

Welcome to the forum!

Is the new document marked as “Include in Compile” in the Metadata tab of the Inspector Pane in your project? That would be the first place I’d suggest checking.

Next, have you recently compiled your project? If you did, was that recently written material excluded from the Compile? If so, Scrivener is likely basing its word counts on the documents last included in compile. You could recompile and include all of your text documents to see if that fixes the word count.

I also recommend reviewing the settings in Project > Show Project Targets > Options…

It’s possible that the “Count current compile group only” box is checked, which might tie into that last compile I mentioned earlier.

Section 20.1 discusses Scrivener’s goals and statistics tracking tools. Reviewing those options and settings in your project may help identify why this has occurred. Plus, it gives you a chance to check that the data you’re getting is actually the data you need.

1 Like