Word 'Hi' at the beginning of a sentence

If you (for whatever reason) are starting a sentence with the word Hi, the I keeps automatically becoming a capital letter. Actually, it looks as though if you use two letters consecutively, where the second letter is ‘i’, it automatically becomes a capital letter, which I think must be a bug. Thanks!

I hadn’t noticed this problem until you mentioned it, but it does seem to be a problem. I did notice, though, that if you simply type “hi” in both lowercase letters, the “h” automatically capitalizes and leaves the “i” lower-case. This is just a workaround, but it might help you until the bug is fixed.

Not a bug, but a feature. Go to options–>corrections–> and turn off ‘capitalize “i”’ and you’re good to go.

Typing ‘i’ as part of a word should not be affected by the option to capitalise “i” automatically. This is a bug, and I have it on the list. As far as I’m aware, it is specific to typing the word at the beginning of a paragraph, however, and having “Capitalize ‘i’” enabled in the Corrections tab of Tools > Options; I’m unable to reproduce it in any other instance. If you have steps to reproduce this in other cases, please post them.

Hi,

Same in French, when you keep “capitalize i” enabled and start a paragraph with “Si” (= If).

Would have thought this was a minor, easily correctable off-by-one error, but here it still is. I can’t reproduce this aside from the start of the paragraph, but I’m being affected in English because I have a character named Li.

Actually, it looks like any character (aside from lowercase letters) followed by an i will have the I capitalized.

Li -> LI
$i -> $I
(i -> (I
"i -> "I
'i -> 'I
]i -> ]I

This is probably to achieve something like the last three cases, but funny enough, the last two seem to be the only ones that still work mid-paragraph and not just at the start of the paragraph.

I can work around this by typing “li” instead of “Li” or by disabling I autocapitalization, but neither really feels like a proper solution.

The problem occurs following certain punctuation, as you indicated, and at the start of a paragraph in a two-letter word beginning with an uppercase letter if both of the auto-capitalisation options are enabled. We have this on the bug list but have not been able to address it yet. You can use Undo (Ctrl+Z) after the auto-capitalisation to correct it if you do not want to disable either of the options. You may also want to create a substitution to replace “LI” with “Li”. (The substitution happens after typing the character following the “replace” phrase, so if you ever use all capitals, you may want to add a space to the substitution, to avoid replacing “LI” in the middle of a word.)

I have a protagonist named “Di” (nickname for “Diana”), and I had already tried adding the substitution. However, I thought that it was not working, because I didn’t try typing another character after the space before attempting something else.

D-i-[space] => “DI” => [follow with any other character] => “Di”

Thanks for the workaround and the tip. Consider this a vote from me to raise the priority of the bug. Protagonists names begin paragraphs with some frequency in a novel. :-\