Words Spellcheck should know :)

I’ve been coming across words that spellcheck should know, but doesn’t. Some are a bit obscure, but I thought I’d pop them in here anyway. Interestingly the forum spellcheck doesn’t know them either… :smiley:

If you find other words, feel free to add them to the list, along with the version of Scrivener being used

Scrivener Version: 0.2.3
[]backwards[/]
[]greaves[/]
[]hewn[/]
[]panoptic[/]
[]pantopticon[/]
[]terracotta[/]
[]upwards[/]
[]vera (as in aloe vera)[/]
[]ziggurat[/]
[]ziggurats[/]

I should specify I’m using the united states dictionary:

towards, glamour, telepath

(Ok, firefox doesn’t recognize glamour or telepath either, but it recognizes towards, c’mon 332,000,000 hits on google for that word :slight_smile:)

Shimra, does it accept ‘glamor’? Sometimes it’s spelt that way in the US :slight_smile:

K

I’m not sure I understand your point, Keldaryth. Microsoft word doesn’t think glamour is incorrect, why should scrivener?

Actually, dictionary.com claims the preferred American spelling is “glamour”. Not sure if there’s a more authoritative free internet reference to check? (glamour has way more hits on google…)

Firefox is making the same mistake, though, I note.

Anyway, who are open source spell check programmers to tell me how to spell a word?! :smiley:

I was just wondering if it accepted ‘glamor’ but not ‘glamour’, as much of the variations not being accepted are from British English, and ‘glamor’ is probably increasing in use in US English, even though, as you point out, it’s still ‘glamour’ technically.

Mostly, I was curious :slight_smile:

Hi all,

This isn’t really a Scrivener thing but the dictionaries being used; however, I’ll compile a list of “missing” words as you guys put them up here and Lee will add them to the default dictionary in one swoop later in the day. (Where “day” is metaphorical.) I should note however that the default dictionary uses American English, so spellings should abide by that. No need to say what version of Scrivener you’re on, as that’s unrelated.

I’ve got the list here got so far, plus “okay” from another post, although I feel the pedantic need to point out that “towards” is British and the proper American spelling is “toward”. :wink:

So! Any others?

On the other hand, the dictionary for British English doesn’t recognize towards either.
Separate thread for faults in the British dictionary?

Let’s just keep this here for the time being, since things will get crazy if we start asking Lee to edit every language dictionary. Keep in mind that you can always add it to your custom word list and not have to worry about it again. (I mean, once the bugs are fixed. :wink:) So go ahead and write them here if you want, just label them as British spelling, and I’ll compile and separate out the lists later and we’ll see what we’ve got.

Some more dictionary inconsistencies?

Practice (with a ‘c’)

My Sriv says it’s using English (UK) in the auto correct menu and it corrects all instances of practice to practise (which is correct in UK English when it’s a verb but not when it’s a noun). Seems like it’s over British-ised this word

also it doesn’t allow the British ‘s’ in towards, backwards etc as previously mentioned but does allow ‘s’ instead of ‘z’ in words ending -ise.

And it is allowing colour and glamour with the British ‘u’

Crazy mixed up kid of a dictionary…? I hope there’s a straightforward way for you to sort this tangle out.
:confused:

…ooh and it doesn’t know inquiry (with an i)
x

I don’t have much more to add at the moment, except to say that the words noted to be missing from the US dictionary also register as being misspelled in the British dictionary.

Also for some bizarre reason it wants to replace the word offensive with “offencive” which to my knowledge is not a word. It correctly identifies the word offense but offensive it wants to spell with a c.

That’s interesting, I had no idea that “toward” was preferred in America. This web site says “in .us domain web sites, toward is about twice as common as towards” tenser.typepad.com/tenser_said_t … _towa.html

I’m American, so I can only chalk up my use of “towards” to a regional or family thing.

Microsoft Word appears to accept either “toward” or “towards” for grammer and spelling.

At any rate, since I’m writing a script, I’m pretty sure I can get away with “towards”, at least in the non dialogue bits :slight_smile: .

Oh sure, I didn’t mean to be cranky about it. I was just reading out of the dictionary usage notes.

You can get away with anything you want in dialogue!

Sorry one more surprising one…
amongst
???

still compiling words that should be in the dictionary?

gauge
Rebecca (it accepts Rebeca, Rebbecca, Rebecka and Rebeka, but not what I’ve always seen as the most common version of the name.
proven

Another surprising one …

dreamed

leapt