Workflow for long form work that is illustration heavy (or potentially graphic novel)

Hi all,

Through many years, I’ve been pulling together in various forms a long form work that is either going to be a work that is part text and part illustrations, or more traditionally a graphic novel, or anywhere in between.

Anyone created a work like this using Scrivener as part of the workflow process?

I’m using Autodesk Sketchbook on both iPad and Mac to sketch my illustrations and any visual memory that I think could be helpful either to be turned into actual illustrations/comic in the work or used as a visual memory aid. For each Sketchbook drawing, I’ve created an alias for it in Scrivener so I can move those items around within Scrivener for organization purposes.

Anyone care to share their workflow processes for such works and how you integrate other programs into your Scrivener workflow?

Obviously it would be great if I could edit my sketches within Scrivener, but that a’int happening :slight_smile: An issue with using aliases for the illustration files is that when I’m on my iPad, Scrivener is not able to display a preview of the file so I have no idea what those sketches are. That does make working on the iPad a little harder when it come to using Scrivener iOS as a tool to organize thoughts.

:wink: Am I THAT unique in my use of Scrivener? :slight_smile:

Hello!
I am hoping to use Scrivner exactly as you described in your post – i.e. an illustrated novel seeing which photos go with which text… have you had any luck?
Thanks😃

Sorry, no luck. No responses, as you’ve seen :frowning:

1 Like

The only thing you can do with images in Scrivener is to include them inline with the text, and then export to a format that can be read by a dedicated layout program like InDesign. Scrivener can’t flow text around images or control their sizes relative to the page and its margins, etc…

As for graphic novels; there are writers who produce scripts for them, but I’ve never heard of anyone attempting to lay out a comics page in Scrivener… it’s just not built for that sort of thing.

2 Likes

You can also assign images to index cards, instead of or in addition to the Synopsis. That lets you use the Corkboard to see them and move them around, but on the other hand you’re limited to only one such image per Binder item.

1 Like

There was a recent thread discussing a somewhat similar way of working, and this was the best advice I could provide for keeping the writing process in Scrivener.

As everyone else noted in that thread, the writing process is not the book production process though, and some people may want to blend the two a bit more than Scrivener is designed to work. I’ve even heard of people who write in InDesign, which is surely torture, but for some highly stylistic forms of visual writing, may be essential to how they think of the narrative.

1 Like

I’m investigating this as well. As a Scrivener user, If I come up with a workflow, I’ll post. As an illustrator, I’m currently using Clip Studio Pro to create my pages. They have a workflow to direct to print. If Scrivener doesn’t work, I’d look there or InDesign.