working between two puters

hey folks! okay, i work between two puters, a laptop (for mobility of course) and a desktop (at home). i hoped the topic “Scrivener on two computers” would answer my question but it doesn’t and i use a pc anyway not a mac. is it a matter of copying one file to another to move content back and forth? and if so, which files. will it work to take the current file and save it to a flash drive/stick and open it with scrivener in another computer then save to the stick and copy/paste the updated file over the previous file on the pc? which files/folders are we talking and exactly what steps will work? i suspect saving it first as a file with a different name so i don’t mess up the master file would be in order as well, right? thanks. btw, you scrivener gurus/techs/creators rock harder than my first cuppa in over a month! ttfn.

Copy the entire .scriv folder. You need everything in it.

If you you are using a reasonably new, well known name brand flash drive (PNY, Kingston, etc), and you set your auto save interval to a reasonably high value then you might want to consider simply using the flash drive for your working file. Be smart and regularly copy the (or use backup to) scriv folder to he local drive just to C.Y.A. but unless you have HUGE files you might find the slight risk worth the sanity savings.

Now let’s wait for Jennifer or Ioa to come along and call me stupid.

One method you might want to consider is establishing a Dropbox account, then installing the Dropbox app on both computers. If you place your Scrivener data files in a Dropbox folder, Dropbox will sync any changes each time that computer connects to the internet. The files also reside on the local machine, so you don’t need to have an online connection every time you want to work on the files. It is important to sync any changes between sessions moving from one machine to the other, as Dropbox will sync the most recent version of the file, wherever that one happens to reside.

If you join Dropbox (a basic account is free) by using this link url[/url], I get an additional 250 MB of space.

Here is a little tip page on Using Dropbox with Scrivener. The first section addresses just putting the .scriv project in a Dropbox folder and working on it from there from your current computer (and vital tips for keeping this process safe). This is probably the most intuitive way to work, because you literally just open the project on your computer. The way Dropbox works is by keeping your computer up to date with a server, rather than attaching your computer to a server. So it is like having a piece of your computer that is automatically shared between them all. The second section addresses the more conventional swap-and-update method, where you transfer the latest version of the project to your computer, work on it, then copy it back. It discusses this in context with using Dropbox, and shows how using the automatic backup feature can alleviate the manual process of updating the other computer with the latest version. This method requires more work from you, but is a good deal more resilient to technological gremlins and good old fashioned human forgetfulness.

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but I am about to acquire Scrivener for my writing (v. strongly recommended by persuasive users!) but i was wondering how to manage across Mac and Windows platforms (and yes, I do know that I would need to buy two versions - ouch). I have Windows desktop and I write a lot on the road on a MacBook, so I will have a Windows/MacOS thing going. Is the Scrivener file system standard across the two versions of the application? Would I be able to copy files from one platform to the other and open to keep working (wither manual copy or using DropBox or somesuch) on the most recent version? I have seen feedback in here on same platform transfers and file management, but I haven’t stumbled upon something that tells me that buying both versions for both my 'puters may actually allow me to work on one set of project data.

Thanks in anticipation of hitherto unknown insights.

There isn’t too much to say on the topic, as it is a fairly straight-forward thing to do. The Windows project folder is the same as a Mac project “file” (the only difference is that the Mac’s Finder makes the folder look and act like a file—just like it does for your applications). Here are some tips, mainly on which features to currently avoid.

thank you for the feedback in answer to my question. i’ll get cracking on seeing which will work best for me.