working in corkboard - return key?

I’m just starting in Scrivener and am using it for my first project. I like the idea of the corkboard and have used this a bit the past few days on my first project, but I must be missing something.

When writing in one 3x5 card, if I want to go to the next line (paragraph break), a simple Return doesn’t do it (although the edit menu “insert” suggests that a Return should do this). Any time I want a new line (whether a line break or paragraph break) I need alt-return or alt-cmd-return. This slows me way down. (If I do press Return, the card is then highlighted and the caret is removed from the text. I then have to double click in the text to get back to edit mode.)

I’ve done a search here and checked the online help, but unless I’ve missed the obvious, I can’t find any reference to this, except for help’s comments on paragraph breaks which uses a Return.

I’m using Leopard 10.5.1.

This has been mentioned quite a lot, but the search feature isn’t great. Basically, the corkboard works the same as any other OS X control, such as a table view or an outline view, whereby hitting return returns focus to the main view. Also note that index cards aren’t really designed for holding lots and lots of text, so inserting newlines isn’t always going to be optimal for viewing synopses in either the corkboard or outliner.
Best,
Keith

Double post. Sorry.

Keith:

While your mind is on this topic: I have seen you mention several times that the notes and/or corkboard sections are not “intended” to hold a lot of text.

My question: does that mean they can not hold a lot of text? Is there a limit? I haven’t seen this issue on the boards, but has Scriv encountered issues with an undue amount of text on a notecard or on the note pad?

Just wondering, as I have (of late) been working through some story issues by free-writing in the notes section. Am I going to screw anything up?

Best,

S

There is no limit, and it won’t cause any massive problems, but it is in the nature of the outliner and corkboard that they just don’t look so good with so much text. Especially the outliner, which wasn’t designed by Apple to work in that way and which I have hacked to use editable rows of multiple heights. It may well slow down the outliner if there is a lot of text. But also, the corkboard - given its nature and how you cannot arbitrarily resize the cards - was designed with brief synopses in mind, the sort of thing you might jot down on a real-world index card.

There is no problem with writing reams of notes in the notes pane of the inspector, by the way.

Best,
Keith

Thanks for the quick response.

It was, in fact, reams of notes in the inspector pane I was most interested in anyway. Glad to hear it!