working with images

I am currently working on a non fiction and need to include several images (maps and photos). I can add the images and resize without a problem. My problem is positioning the image and text wrapping. This is my first non fiction and I am unsure if I should be placing all the images in now ready for editing and printing or images supposed to be sent seperate? Is there a special resolution of image that I should be using in the book?

Is it for a print book? Self-published or via a publisher?

Self published book that will contain map images and also photo on most pages.

I think I know the answer to one of these question:

Scrivener itself has just basics for image placement (Sizing and paragraph alignment). There is no facility at all for text wrapping around an image – that is a layout thing that would have to be done in post-processing.

gr

Scrivener is for writing, not for layout. You need to use Word or InDesign or something like that for the final layout, once the text is done.

Resolution and max-sizes are going to depend on the printer and book shape, that’s information you would want to get from them, as well any colour profiles, file format info, etc. In general you aren’t going to want to dump print-ready graphics directly into a text editor. They aren’t really designed for this kind of task and may not properly transit the file at full quality all the way through the production process, never mind the risk of bogging the editor down with massive graphics. In Scrivener, the idea is more that you’d be working with smaller placeholder sized graphics, even thumbnails, which would eventually be replaced by a designer or using desktop publishing software yourself, lacking that. Hence: basic placement utility: we’re working at a level of writing here, and sometimes writing benefits from having the figure in front of us, so that is the extent of what the provided tools are meant to give you.

Toward that end there are a lot of approaches and tools here, I’d go through the user manual where it covers images and make sure you’re choosing the best option for your workflow. Myself, I use placeholder images (small versions for my own reference) which generate codes for further processing down that line, codes that reference the final images all stored in separate folders—by then I’m not working in Scrivener any more.

Thanks for all the information. You have certainly been a great help in pointing me in the right direction. :smiley:

I don’t know if my experience will help you because I have my own questions about images.

Still . . . I sometimes drag images directly into my Scrivener manuscript, or I collect them into my Research file first and then drag them into my manuscript. (I have done both). Because I am totally confused by the Compile command and its various check boxes, when I have completed my manuscript, then I simply copy the entire text (with the images included) and paste it into a Macintosh Textedit file, which produces an .rtfd file (the text and the images). I send that off to the company that does my e-book formatting, and they have no problem in converting it into .mobi and .epub files.

I don’t use MS Word (never have).