Working with Scrivener files and an Editor

I use a freelance editor to give a final polish for my books in an attempt to catch those typos and grammatical errors that my eyes have become blind to.

I’m wondering if there’s a simple way to take a book that I’ve broken down into separate chapters in Scrivener that I can then send to the editor who uses MS Word with it Track Changes features to note the changes she makes.

On the front end, I compiled a rtf file and sent it to the editor who did the editing then sent it back to me. I reviewed the changes and approved them, etc all in MS Word. Now, I’m wondering if there’s a way to upload it back to Scrivener so it appears as individual files, or will I need to divide the full manuscript again with the ‘control-K’ function?

Is there an easier way I’m missing?

Is there a way to compile the book file so it compiles as separate chapters that I’d send to the editor and could then be imported back into Scrivener as individual chapters?

BRAD

Unfortunately there is not an easier way right now for doing that. Once a file is bouncing back and forth, a lot of people like to just pick things up in Word and take it from there. You can go back and split things up like you mention, but it’s almost better to use copy and paste unless you do not use many of the linking and meta-data features. If you don’t, then re-splitting wouldn’t be too bad—but like you say it’s kind of awkward to work that way and often more trouble than it is worth. At a certain point in time, the “first draft” rule of thumb comes into play. You can take things pretty far in Scrivener, some can take it further than others, but eventually you’ll run into a scenario where it’s easier to just leave the project behind.

The only real alternative is hard on your editor: that is using the folder sync feature to push out individual RTF files for each item in your draft. Then you can share a Dropbox folder with them and sync their changes back in (though of course, you’ll want to let them know that comments are what they should use instead of track changes). Like I said though, it can be hard on your editor, especially if you tend to break things down quite a bit. They might not mind a dozen RTF files, but several hundred, maybe not so much!

Or get them to use Scrivener and share your project with them. :wink: