Writer's Block? Maybe it's in your ears

Several writing programs have played around with typewriter sound effects (none, that I know of, with much success). Still, the idea may be worth a try. After all, if Rupert Murdoch and the London Times think it’ll work, maybe it will.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/08/26/343534575/the-times-of-london-reverts-to-type-to-motivate-reporters

ps

I’m going to start referring to it as The Times of London or The London Times from now on.

Well, I find KeyClick quite good (even if I cannot use it with my pleasantly noisy Das Keyboard):
sustworks.com/sb_site/downloads.html

Paolo

I had KeyClick six years ago. It stopped working a few OS versions ago, and I figured it was a goner. But I just now checked the website, downloaded the latest Mavericks-compatible version, found the old (2008) registration key in Mail, and plugged it in.

It works.

Thanks for the lead, and thanks to sustworks for a durable registration.

Interesting. I’d love to know what reporters’ reactions are, especially as the sound of typing gets more insistent.

I’ll look into KeyClick–thanks.

Sometimes I like the tinkling sound of the ommwriter typewriter. Sometimes not.

I wonder if the mere presence of background sound might help the writers? There’s an app for that, and research, no less.*

And does nostalgia add an element to the background, even if it’s … hm, can’t think how to say this–manufactured/recreated for people who’ve only seen and heard typewriters in movies? (Oh, the possible studies and dissertations and apps, and post-colonic journal article titles (paraphrasing one of my profs’ wry comments)!)

*I may have learned about ommwriter and the coffee shop buzz app (this phrase really shouldn’t make sense!) here, of course.

Also check out NoisyTyper. There’s a little bit of a trick to get it working on Mavericks (and if you want I can post it here) but it works. I always fire it up before a serious writing session. Best of all, it’s free.

fffff.at/noisy-typer-a-typewrite … ur-laptop/

This will help you get it working on the latest versions of OS X:
tonymacx86.com/mac-software/ … ricks.html