Writing a French version of my English story

I’ve written a family history story in English and now I would like to write a French version of it, but I’m not sure how best to proceed. I would like to use the split pane option to translate it paragraph by paragraph. My dilemma is how to organize this in the binder so that I can easily compile each individual version since they will both be part of the same draft. Or perhaps there is a better way entirely. Please let me know. Thank you.

You can filter by label or status compile.
Or set yourself a custom metadata field (say with a checkbox) to identify some files as being French files.

You could also have them in a collection.
Or use the interface filtering with a keyword “French” (there are plenty of other ways) and then, selecting those files, have the compiler set to compile your current selection.

. . . . . . . . . . .

That’s how I’d do it myself.
And using the filter at compile, you don’t have to worry much about the binder, just have your French files below their English version.

English 1
French 1
English 2
French 2

You can also filter the same way, but this time in the main interface, for when you want to exclusively see the French files in the binder or in a scrivening.

I’ve been doing that for years with my collaborator in cases where the Chinese and English versions had to be interleaved in the final document; Chinese and English labels set up, two collections based on Find by Label, so I could check the English as a single text for any inconsistencies. Chinese source in Left split; English target in right split.

We had to work down to single line documents containing headings.

I don’t suppose you will need that granularity, or from what you say that you are going to interleave your texts, so it won’t really matter whether you have the French translations right next to the English originals in the binder. So you could simply have each language in designated parts in Draft in the binder, or even put the English source in Research.

Scrivener is very flexible. Start how you think will be the organisation that suits you; with a bit of rearranging, you can change later. The only thing to bear in mind is that you need to be able to compile the French version without a lot of faffing around in the binder or corkboard to get only that marked for compiling. Unticking all the English text from “Include in Compile” will also make it easier.

:slight_smile:

Mark

1 Like

A bit off topic but the obvious question :
Do you actually speak French ?

Not to be the one to kill the joy, but if you plan on having something the likes of Google translate to do it for you, that is not really gonna work.
Just sayin’. – Hopefully for nothing.

Vouloir traduire de l’anglais au français, il te faut un humain. Il n’y a pas à ce jour d’autre façon.

Thank you for the replies. I like the idea of having a separate draft in French with a pdf version of the English version in the Research folder for reference, but I am forever editing the English version, so this wouldn’t work. I guess I will have to brush up on using labels and compile.
P.S. I am french-speaking and I have been purposely reading a lot of classic French literature for the past two years to help polish my reading and writing skills, but I still find French verb conjugation rather challenging.