Writing a mini-dictionary/encyclopaedia. Advice?

Has anyone tried writing anything along the lines of a glossary, a dictionary or an encyclopaedia in Scrivener?

I am beginning work on a book (which will be my first) which is to be a reference for students of one particular academic field, and which will be structured by headwords. I’m not sure how to proceed. I suppose what I need is a separate document in the binder for each headword, but I’m not sure how practical that would be. I can’t see any way of sorting them alphabetically, for instance, so I suppose I’d have to do that by hand.

Any advice would be very welcome – about ways to do this in Scrivener, or recommendations for other software that might make it easier, or general advice about writing this kind of book.

1 Like

I don’t believe there is a way to sort documents in the binder directly, but there is a workaround that might suit you. Select all the pertinent documents, then apply . Now you can use // from the toolbar and voila! Docs sorted.

Hope this helps

Roy :slight_smile:

Roy Smile

If only I was where I was when I wanted to be where I am now…

Just had to say how true that is!

You might want to use the headwords in the synopsis, where it’s visible on index cards, or in the outline. That would help with some sorting. With any large numbers of content, I’d have Folders with the letter of the alphabet, then you could throw all the A’s in the A folder, etc.

I mean, that’s the hard part of organizing. You can always do the fiddly sorting in Word or something with an outline sort. I’m not sure about that, though. Haven’t done too much flipping around with that myself.