Writing is highlighted

So I just opened up Scrivener today to do some writing and I find that all the text has a weird background color/highlight. Turning it off and on again doesn’t help. I’m unsure of how to make it go away and it’s a bother. Help?

(This happens in both light and dark mode by the way).

Unfortunately I can’t tell much from your screenshot, especially since the format bar is not visible. Can you send a small project with this issue to win3beta@literatureandlatte.com with a link to this thread? That way we can look at various options and see what could be causing it.

Thanks for your help with this.

Thank you! It’s been sent :slight_smile:

Still happening in the update :frowning:

Try clicking the Toggle Highlighting icon. In File > Options, select the Editing option along the top. Select Formatting on the left. Click the sample text to highlight it, and then click the rightmost icon, the pencil, to toggle the highlight off.

I’m not sure if that’s what happening with you, but it might be.

Thanks,
Miik

It seems your text is either using a style or an inline footnote.

It does come up in the style box, but nothing I click changes it.

I have Styles off, and no footnotes.

And clicking on defaults in the Formatting pane doesn’t remove it?

Nope. I thought it did, but the problem remains. In some pages/folders it’s fine, in others I still get the weird highlighting. And it’s also causing Scrivener to freeze up. If it was just an aesthetic issue it would be ok, but it stops me from writing.

Please, send me a small project with a document or two showing the problem to: tiho at literatureandlatte.com

Tiho, I have the project and will forward it to you.

Hi guys, the text has been marked with “Preserve Formatting” and what you see is the default decoration of Preserve Formatting areas. To turn it off, select the text and uncheck the menu Format > “Preserve Formatting”. Scrivener is so feature rich! :wink: