Writing Manuscript and Screenplay Simultaneously - Organization

Apologies if this had been answered elsewhere in the forum - I’ve done most of the tutorial, watched videos and searched for an answer- I purchased Scrivener yesterday and am amazed at the price of this software for what it can do. I’m looking for help on the best way to organize a work of fiction that I’m also wanting to simultaneously write a screenplay for ie. primarily a manuscript and secondarily a screenplay. I understand I’m asking how a watch works here, but is there a video or a tutorial I am missing that I can use as a guide or even an example file or picture of what the binder for this would look like? Thank you for your time. :slight_smile:

Since screenplays are usually not scene-for-chapter parallels of most books*, it’s likely that you’re not going to be able to nest the chapters under each screenplay scene (or nest the scene under the chapter). Instead, I’d suggest two folders in the “manuscript/draft/whatever its called” folder: Screenplay and Novel.

To link chapters to corresponding screenplay scenes, use document bookmarks, which are reciprocal (links created to a document are created back from that document as well). That way, when you are working on one of those documents, the corresponding doc will be visible in the bookmarks pane of the inspector.

You might benefit from creating document templates for screenplay scene documents vs. novel scene/chapter documents, and make those templates the default sub-document types of the respective Screenplay and Novel folders.

Edit: I just realized that document bookmarks aren’t part of the current release version of Scrivener for Windows. It appears that the beta for version 3, which does have that feature, may be a few months away from release, so that suggestion doesn’t do you any good if you want to stick to a stable release and start work on your project soon. As an alternative until you can upgrade to version 3, I suggest using scrivener links, either in the text, or in the document notes, to the corresponding document(s) in the other format.

[size=85]* I don’t know this from personal experience, but from reading Neil Gaiman’s blog back when he was adapting one of his novels into a move… I believe it was Neverwhere. So take my advice with the proverbial crystal of NaCl.[/size]

In addition to the document links feature that rdale mentioned, in the current Win 1.9 prod version you can also use Document References to create shortcuts pointing one document to another, and Project References for global shortcuts.

You’ll find both Document & Project References in the Inspector - select the References icon. Using Document Reference would make it handy, from a dual editor layout, to pull up a novel scene in one editor and then quickly bring up the corresponding screenplay scene in the other editor, or vice versa.

I will try the links as you say - seems intuitive - it seems I can prevent the links from being compiled (not that there would be too much wrong with compiling it in a draft or personal copy)but not 100% sure. When do you suppose version 3 might be available? I don’t totally mind having to redo links as bookmarks. I like things ticketty boo so if it’s better then I’d spend the time. Thank you.

Thanks JimRac. I’ll look at references as well. It sounds like I can keep the two formats organized in two different sets of folders and just click in with a link or reference when I need to. Cheers.