Yet another timestamp?

I was reading through Holly Lisle’s One-pass editing (which I think I’ll be testing out) and one of the items she mentions is that you have to know the chronology of your story. Depending on the story, this can be time to any resolution, but the main thing is that your characters can’t be in two places at once, and travel time may be a factor. Unless you’re writing a time travel story, but then it’s even more important to keep the chronology straight!

Ok, really I’ll be looking for a timeliner app, separate from Scrivener, since I know you aren’t planning on adding that as a feature. But I thought I’d toss out this idea: a free-form timestamp that can be displayed in the corkboard/outliner views, as a small assist to let you know if there’s actually time to have a scene between those other two or if some time management is in order…

Thoughts? Should I just type something in the synopsis?

(Interestingly, despite HL saying to not even think about attempting the one-pass method on a computer, I think that Scrivener is the program most likely to allow it to work. A traditional word processor, no way, but Scriv… One way or the other, I do believe I’ll be describing the one-pass in Scrivener terms once I’m done with it!)

Hmm, I think this is the sort of thing that would move Scrivener away from being general purpose into being something too specific. This is definitely something you could choose to use keywords or labels for, or to add to the synopsis or notes…
Just a thought,
Best,
Keith

That is my reaction, too. Making something specifically chronological would definitely step the index card toward novelisation, though it would have some limited use outside of fiction. So my next immediately thought was to just make it general purpose – a label of sorts – but then, that is what the Synopsis is already.

On another note: Skimming the article, this author definitely needs a little Scrivener in her life. Pretty much all of the tasks her in workflow could be very swiftly adopted, all the way down to making an ‘X’ status level and boldly striking out those index cards. :slight_smile: Annotations make a wonderful way to slash without the burn, as you can just select a paragraph you wish to delete, press Cmd-Shift-A, optionally mark it as deleted text or use a special colour, and move on. They work very well for marking ideas as you go through the draft, and the search by string feature lets you quickly isolate those idea and reminder annotations. Since everything should already be in scenes during the Scrivener writing process, it is perfect. You can even save searches for analysing continuity between broken parts of the novel – something that, as she points out, is a real headache using a stack of paper and a notepad.

I suspected as much :slight_smile:

I’ll just type something into the synopsis card then, and keep an eye out for good timeline apps.

I was thinking along the same lines as you are, in terms of using her method in Scrivener. Although, I was going to drag the file to the trash instead of using an X status. (On the other hand, leaving it in context temporarily would probably be a good idea.)

I’m just trying to figure out if I should use the project notepad or a full document in the binder for her spiral-bound notebook though…