You asked for feature suggestions, here's mine

Hey Lee, you asked for suggestion for future features. I have been working on as short story for L. Ron Hubbard’s Writers of the Future Contest. I was looking at the rules to refresh my memory on the format requirements, and a few ideas for features occurred to me. I thought I would pass them on to you. (go to this link for full rules: writersofthefuture.com/contest-rules)

Suggestion 1: I read the word count requirement, listed here: “4. To be eligible, entries must be works of prose, up to 17,000 words in length. . .”

It got me thinking: Many types of writing have a maximum word count rule governing length of submissions. It would be cool if we had a “max word count” option. When this option is checked it will display a countdown of how many words you have left next to the total word count in the footer view. Optionally, any words that exceed this length might be displayed in gray or some other color to visually indicate the overage.

Rule six covers format requirements. Reading this gave me a couple of ideas for suggestions for Scrivener Here is the rule: "6. Entries submitted hardcopy must be typewritten or a computer printout in black ink on white paper, printed only on the front paper, double spaced, with numbered pages. All other formats will be disqualified. Each entry must have a cover page with the title of the work, the author’s legal name, a pen name if applicable, address, telephone number, email address and an approximate word count. Every subsequent page must carry the title and a page number, but the author’s name must be deleted to facilitate fair, anonymous judging.

Entries submitted electronically must be double-spaced and must include the title and page number on each page, but not the author’s name. Electronic submissions will separately include the author’s legal name, pen name if applicable, address, telephone number, email address and approximate word count."

Suggestion 2: 17,000 words can be a small cage to fit a story into. I presume (but could be wrong) that this word count limit refers to the words of the actual body of the story only. There should be an option to exclude words from the word count (either at the cursor, or a selection of text). The following section of rule six sounds like a good example of what types of things might need to be excluded from the word count for many short story submissions (and possibly other types): “. . .cover page with the title of the work, the author’s legal name, a pen name if applicable, address, telephone number, email address and an approximate word count. Every subsequent page must carry the title and a page number. . .”

Suggestion 3: It would be cool if there was a template for this.

Well, I hope I didn’t make this too long for you (Excess verbiage when explaining is a bad habit of mine), and I hope it is in the correct area for suggestions. I though I saw an area for this at one time, but can’t find it now.

Thanks for considering it, Lunarclipper