Your favorite movies?

What are your favorite movies? Mine are

• Godfather

• Yojimbo

• Star Trek: The Motion Picture (from 1979)

• Godfather
    Needs no introduction. Godfather I is best, II is pretty good as well. Godfather III you can skip.

• Yojimbo
    A movie about a wandering samurai in nineteenth century Japan. Toshiro Mufune is fantastic and the movie gives IMO a wonderful picture of the samurai spirit.

• Star Trek: The Motion Picture
    Normally, Star Trek movies are very naive, but not this one. An alien cloud, size of a planet, with unprecedented power is approaching Earth, destroying everything in its path. The only starship in range is the Enterprise. Captain Kirk is ordered to intercept the intruder. They learn that the alien intruder is controlled by a master called V’ger who wants to know the answers to the questions: “Where do I come from? What am I? Where am I going?”. Since nobody is able to answer those questions the cloud prepares to destroy the Earth. In desperation Captain Kirk says that he knows the answers, but that he will only tell it to the V’ger in person. The Enterprise is allowed to enter the cloud and a fantastic voyage begins until Kirk stands face to face with V’ger."

Other good movies I’ve enjoyed are: The Commitments, As Good as It Gets, When Harry Met Sally, Unforgiven, Rocky, Matrix I, Terminator I, Alien I, Ladri di biciclette (The bicycle thief from 1948), Veiviseren (Pathfinder, Norwegian film from 1987), To be or not to be (from 1942) and Ben Hur (from 1959). When I was younger I adored Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Peter Pan, Pinocchio and Winnie the Pooh. Also Laurel and Hardy, The Marx Brothers, Danny Kay and Bob Hope have a special place in my childhood memory.

Okay I am going to sound like an art-house snob. Tarkovsky’s Nostalghia would be at the top of the heap, for me. It so elegantly and powerfully addresses many themes we face in this era of humanity, especially so for an artist of any type. Most of his films are pure poetry from the first to last frames. Most cinema feels completely inadequate to me, in comparison; to the degree that I really don’t consider his stuff to be “cinema.” It wouldn’t be fair to the rest. :slight_smile: Putting Woolf in Comp. 101 and asking the others to compete.

Well all right, bombast aside: Harold and Maude; Fahrenheit 451; The Fountain; Alphaville; Persona; Dekalog; Smultronstället; Trois Couleurs: Bleu & Rouge; Zerkalo; Stalker; Lost Highway. Hmm, lots more! :slight_smile:

BAMBI & NOSFERATU are my favourites
Take care
Fluff

This will make me sound like a mind-numbed, pudding brained, back woods neanderthal, but here is my short list:
• Fifth Element
• Hero
• Once Upon a Time in China (whole series)
• Children of Men
• iRobot

That list seems so … immature. Oh well, it is what it is.

Explaining why these are my favorites would require a forum all of its own so I will not clutter up KB’s forums with my personality issues.

Of all the movies listed so far, I have seen just two: Matrix I, and iRobot.

For some reason I just don’t see many movies…

Matt

…why Mr Matt!! :open_mouth: Everybody has seen BAMBI.
Take care
Fluff

I heard it was sad… I don’t like being sad.

Brazil! It blew me away. I’ve seen most of Terry Gilliam’s films and I like them all.

And more recently: “Le Pacte Des Loups” (The Brotherhood of the Wolves). Brilliant.

Casablanca, Get Carter, Solaris, A Matter of Life and Death, Chinatown, High Noon, Seven, High Society, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Alien, Top Hat, No Country for Old Men, Blade Runner, Godfather 2, Touch of Evil

Wot about [size=150]BAMBI? :open_mouth: [/size][ tch! tch! jeeezz!! wot ylike?s enough to give a cat furballs.

Fluff :imp:

I hope that’s not the Clooney remake!

I hope that’s not the Stallone remake!

Bambi? (although I always preferred Thumper - Fluff might too)

Stallone and Clooney re-makes? :imp: :imp: :imp:

I was walking down the street about thirty-five years ago, day-dreaming as usual, and almost walked into shot as Michael Caine came out of a bar I was familiar with, tracked by a large camera crew. Little did I know he was making what would become one of my favourite films. “Magic!” as they say in that part of the world.

According to the newspapers this weekend the mansion that features in the film is being sold. It also featured in the real-life murder story on which the film and original novel were based. The multi-storey car park that also featured is about to be torn down and turned into a supermarket.

Contact
The Adventures of Robin Hood (Erroll Flynn version)
Breaking Away
October Sky
The Great Escape
The Right Stuff
Nobody’s Fool
True Grit
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Wizard of Oz

I watched a movie (bought then watched several times) for the family that I hadn’t seen in a while. It is kind of like the Princess Bride as everyone seems to love it but never thinks of it until they manage to sit down and watch it again. It will be a favorite soon.

Second Hand Lions

Kind of makes you wish it was your life.

I read William Shatner on this subject at the weekend. When the movie was being shot, he plainly thought it would fall flat on its face - partly because half the budget was spent on special effects (something Shatner clearly felt keenly…) and partly because, in his opinion, “it wasn’t about anything”. Gene Rodenberry regarded the Enterprise as the star and wanted lots and lots of shots of it going whoosh! one way, and then whoosh! another way. Shatner admits he was completely wrong. As William Goldman wrote, “Nobody knows anything.”

That one gets my vote too … along with “Un Homme et une Femme”, “Dial M for Murder” and “Rear Window”.

:slight_smile:

Mark

I keep a running list of my top 10 in my VoodooPad journal. Copy pasted below:

My Top 10 As Of: 22 February 08 3:32PM
A Fluid And Numerically Inaccurate List

1. Jaws. When I think of old Top 10 lists I’ve made, I remember how many Spielberg movies were on them. I have no less affection for (most) of them now, but he only gets one space here. Anyone my age who makes movies and says he’s not an influence is a fucking liar. Raiders is a perfect movie, but it ain’t Jaws. E.T. is still amazing, but it’s possible I’ve outgrown it. Close Encounters has that scene in air traffic control and Truffaut’s role, and Dreyfuss’s family is shockingly realistic. And the people by the road. Hm. I may make this number 11.

2. The Godfather Part II. Because Pacino.

3. Three Colors: Red Oddly, for a lot of the reasons I like Donnie Darko.

4. Tie: The Big Lebowski/Fargo/Miller’s Crossing/O Brother Where Art Thou?/The Man Who Wasn’t There. They could all occupy a place on the list, but I don’t want to be a Coen Bros hag.

5. His Girl Friday. Because it’s everything I love about movies of the 30s in one film. (Made in 1940… sue me.) And because Cary Grant.

6. The Lady Eve. By a long shot my favorite Sturges movie, and really the only one I want to go back to over and over. I like the audacity of Morgan’s Creek, but I found it silly and annoying at times. Credit for subversion, though this is much more so in my mind.

7. Breathless. Because it makes me want to smoke and be French in the 60s, and because the part where she’s speaking english and selling the papers sticks with me for some weird reason. (Honorable New Wave Mention): The malt shop dance scene in Band a part. Which I now have to watch on youtube. Jesus christ that’s a good scene.

8. Donnie Darko. Because I wish I’d written that.

9. The Empire Strikes Back. Because Hoth.

10. Goodfellas. I’ve always loved this movie, but I don’t think I understood how good it actually is until about three years ago. Personal reasons.

Several which have already been mentioned (high among them, Brazil and Blade Runner) but also

My Favorite Year, and almost anything with Peter O’Toole
Z
Citizen Kane
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
How can you resist a movie with lines like these:

King Arthur: I am your king.
Woman: Well I didn’t vote for you.
King Arthur: You don’t vote for kings.
Woman: Well how’d you become king then?
King Arthur: The Lady of the Lake, her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water, signifying by divine providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur. THAT is why I am your king.
Dennis: Listen, strange women lyin’ in ponds distributin’ swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony… if I went ‘round sayin’ I was Emperor, just because some moistened bint lobbed a scimitar at me, they’d put me away.

Phil

Phil wrote:

I love it, love it :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[size=150]BAMBI & THUMPER -REDUX[/size]

youtube.com/watch?v=GwYNmqHswF8