Zoom feature in QuickReference windows

I’m writing a humanities dissertation using Scrivener on MacOS. It is mostly great!
It would be even better if I could zoom text size in a QuickReference window. Here’s why:

The main Scrivener window is zoomable and indispensable for jumping between notes I’m taken from hard copy references. Since adapting my research to QuickReference, my work mode involves keeping open QRs of, say a chapter outline + the chapter itself, while hopping around to sources in the main window. I’m stoked that QRs implement footnotes in the window.

The problem is, the same document viewed in the main window will only display at 100% in a QR window. It’s about a 2 point visual difference, so when I am working on a chapter in a QR window at 125%, I have the option of dealing with the QR being shrunk to a 10 point font (good for viewing outlines, bad for chapters), or turning the text size in each part of the chapters up to 14pt, so it will display in 12pt in the QR window. Which I could deal with, except that I ultimately have to export all the pieces in 12pt, to periodically export as .doc to send to my advisor.

So yes. I would be delighted if a user could also zoom in 125% in the QR window. Less good but ok would entail preserving the zoom selected for a doc in the main window when viewing as a QR window.

(Moderator note: moved to Tech Support since this can already be done.)

To change the zoom level of any QR editor, use the standard keyboard shortcuts for doing so, or the standard View/Zoom/ sub-menu (which has the shortcuts printed).

If you have a particular zoom level that you prefer to use, set this with the “Default text zoom” option in the Editor preferences pane. This impacts all text fields capable of being zoomed.

As an aside:

Worrying about presentation fonts while writing isn’t something you typically have to do in Scrivener (there are exceptions, though, so perhaps that is a valid concern for you). When you compile the draft folder to a single output document, you have the option to clean up all of the text to a singular formatting style and font choice. You are encouraged to use whatever font face and display attributes are comfortable to your eyes, while writing.

Zooming is really meant more to be an occasional exception to your preferred look. Cases where the night is long and the eyes are bleary, or you’re on a small laptop, etc.

Setting the default zoom to 125% did not result in QuickReference windows taking on that zoom in my copy of Scrivener (Mac v. 2.3.1).

However, the zoom commands are behaving, and are preserved after closing and re-opening a QR window. Thanks!

For humanities papers, 12 pt times new roman is standard and easy on the eyes, and I’m lucky enough that my external monitor & laptop display at almost identical apparent sizes, so I’m going for the boring mode of WYSIWYG as far as text display is concerned.

You may need to reload the project if you’ve already opened a lot of QR panels and closed them. To increase performance, Scrivener does not destroy QR panels when you close them. They are just hidden and then restored when you ask for them again. This means that if they have already taken on preference choices (like zoom level), that is how they will stick until you reload the project.