11 ebooks available! Thanks Scrivener!

Hi all,

I just want to share my joy with you! With the help of Scrivener I managed to produce 11 ebooks, now available in the Kindle Shop. You wonder about my productivity? No wizardry involved.

I simply published all “Sudeleien” from my waste book (Sudelbuch) written between 1998 and 2008 as ebooks: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=Sudelbuch&x=0&y=0

I had to take the text from several sources. The older texts came from LaTeX-sources, because I previously had published them as printed books, the newer ones I copied from the website into Scrivener. It took me a while to edit the huge amount of 556 texts but all in all it was easy and fun.

Then I had to wait for the german version of Kindle Direct Publishing, to publish the books. It opened last thursday and only one week later: juh’s Sudelbuch 1998 – 2008 is available in eleven pretty ebooks.

The epub converter of Scrivener is amazing. It simply works and produces ebooks, which validate flawlessly against epubcheck. So all blood, sweat and tears, I had, was due to my poor workflow and not due to Scrivener. I had put all texts sorted by month and year into one project, because in the beginning I wanted to produce one big ebook and only later decided to split it into volumes, one for each year. So when I compiled the books I had to copy some front- and backmatter stuff into each year folder, adjust it and then compile the folder as epub. This works flawlessly from the technical point of view, but I always had to edit the metadata and select the right cover image, which was an error-prone workflow. I had to cross check the output and redo the compiling from time to time. I wasn’t able to find a better way, and – it wasn’t that bad. :wink:

What really sucks is the interface of Kindle Direct Publishing. It’s slow as a flat driven snail and took me nearly a whole day to upload the books and cover images and edit all the metadata. But here they are!

Thanks to Keith and all other contributors of Scrivener. It’s a wonderful piece of software!

Congratulations, Juh! Great work. :slight_smile:

I was reading the manual, and wondered whether Scrivener could export to KIndle format, and you answered my question.

Wishing you all success,

Angela

Thanks for the kind words juh, and congratulations on getting all those books onto Amazon, that’s great!

All the best,
Keith

@Angela: I did not use the mobi-export of Scrivener, because KDP converts epub on the fly after uploading. To export as mobi you have to install a converter first. I did not tried this.