2.0 release and new licence

first off, I’d like to say that Scrivener is awesome and that, although I’m still enjoying my 30-day free trial, I’m definitely going to buy it.

Anyway, I read here that the 2.0 update won’t be free… The last update says that the new version will be released on May-June 2010 and, somewhere at the end of the post, it’s written that:

I assume that this was said back in December 2008.

Now… Should I really buy the licence for the 1.54 version right now? I mean: I want to buy it, I really do, but since I’ve used scrivener for just a week so far, I DO NOT want to pay $40 now and other $25 after a month, either.
Some features implemented in 2.0 are quite handy (I’ve read about them in the topic linked above) and, since I am a new user and I’m not that used to the “old” GUI yet, I’d prefer to use Scrivener 2.0 rather than stick with the previous one.

Therefore, I would really appreciate a clarification about what is going to happen. If I buy the licence for Scrivener 1.54 on (let’s say) 30th April, and Scrivener 2.0 is then released on June, will I have to pay the upgrade fee? If this is the case I think I’d better stop using it till 2.0 is ready.

Thank you,
Great Job, by the way :slight_smile:

(PS: I’m not English. I apologize for any mistake and lame sentence in this message. Hopefully you’ve understood anyway)


I really can’t give any solid answers yet, sorry. I can say that 2.0 won’t be ready for at least three more months. There will be a free upgrade period, but I won’t know when that starts from until the 2.0 code base is finished. Basically, when the 2.0 code is finished, I can give a rough release date and announce that anyone buying from such-and-such a date will get a free update, while I finish the Help file, bug-fixing and suchlike. But I’m a long way from that point. At that point, Scrivener will go up in price to $45 ($38 for students), which will be the new 2.0 price. So if you can hold off for a few months, then sure, wait for 2.0. But I’m afraid I can’t start offering free updates just yet as there is still too much to do.

Thanks for trying, and thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!

All the best,

That’s a bit of a dilemma, I can see that.

However, as an alternative perspective, a lot of people have been using Scrivener 1.5 for years now, producing outstanding work and waxing lyrical about what a wonderful writing tool Scrivener is.

Surely, version 1.5 is going to remain just as good, even when 2.0 is launched? You could use it for six months or a year, while the inevitable 2.x glitches are being wrung out.

Also, I’m convinced that anyone used to the 1.5 GUI won’t have a steep lerning curve on 2.0.

In fact, the only reason that you perceive a dilemma at all, is because Keith is so open about the development process of Scrivener. Many software companies don’t even hint at a coming major upgrade until it’s ready for launch or, at most, for public beta testing. Usually, the grace period starts at the same time.

It all reminds me a bit of when I decided to buy the best (and most expensive) Double 8 mm movie camera many years ago, a Swiss Bolex H8 Reflex with three superlative Switar prime lenses.

Well, a couple of months later, Kodak announced the Super 8 format, with 50 per cent larger image area and much simplified film loading.

Predictably, I rushed back to the shop with my camera and wanted to negotiate a return, in the conviction that Super 8 would make me that much happier. The shop owner smiled a bit and he said:

— Wait a minute. You just bought the best 8 mm movie camera in the world. Is it somehow less good, now that there’s an alternative that may one day be a bit better?

I went home with my camera and used it happily for many years.

Best regards,


Thank you for the reply. Anyway, I wasn’t asking for a free update, just for information. :smiley:
I see your point… and what spitfire said makes a lot of sense too… Ok, I guess I’ll buy the licence for 1.54, then.

You’re absolutely right, now that I think about it.

Nice story. Here’s what happened to a friend of mine:
He bought a MacBook (4,1 - early 2008) back in autumn 2008 and he was as happy as ever. A week later, the new macBook Alluminium Unibody (5,1, the first macBook with a Nvidia graphic card) appeared in stores. The price was practically the same.
As you can imagine my friend got quite angry. He didn’t want to return his macBook in exchange for the new one, but wanted — at least — to know why no one at the store told him that by waiting a single week he could have had a much better product at the same price. The shop personnel said that they had to ged rid of the old stock.
He has been using that macBook for a year and a half, now, but I wouldn’t say “happily”… :confused:

Anyway, thank you for the explanation guys :slight_smile:
Best wishes