2022 niad

Hi everyone - do we have a date for the next NIAD? As you can see, im excited :blush:

3 Likes

Iā€™m excited too. I want to be ready.

2 Likes

I want to tag @pigfender so that he can start calling for NiaD 2022 writers sooner.

2 Likes

Replying to help keep myself in the loop. :rofl: was quite a fun challenge last year. Good way to stretch out those muscles i havent used since NaNo :nerd_face: whoops.

Thanks for the prompt! After some extended deliberations Iā€™ve reached the tough decision not to run NiaD this year.

Weā€™ve written some great stuff as a group over the past 11 years, including novels in 11 different genres, a 10th anniversary re-release, a special ā€˜apocalypse editionā€™ novella, and even a cookbook! Itā€™s been a lot of fun, but itā€™s also no small amount of work behind the scenes to keep it running.

Iā€™m not saying never again ā€“ Iā€™m sure I can be tempted to run the occasional one-off / special edition again at some point in the future ā€“ but weā€™re no longer going to run it as an annual event.

A huge thank you to everyone who has taken part over the years, and of course to LL for their generous support! Iā€™d also like to give a special shout out to all our mysterious yellow mug winners @nom @gr @Jaysen @homeport and @pete340, the last two of which took part in every book weā€™ve produced!

Happy writing!
Rog

6 Likes
  1. I liked the brief style much better. But Iā€™m difficult on purpose.
  2. You deserve all the breaks. I will miss NiaD but Mrs Bacon deserves some time to the sole abuser of your time.
  3. There is STILL no reason for ā€œsouthern szechuanā€ to exist. What foolishnessā€¦
1 Like

It has been a pleasure and honour to take part in every book we did was so much fun. I appreciate just how much time and effort you have put in to allow this to happen. Will really miss this event but a huge thank you for taking time to make all these books happen.

2 Likes

So, with the all-new Unexpected NIAD, you just never know when its going to sneak up and surprise on you. I like it! I mean, this hasnā€™t happened to me since the Surprise Exam.

1 Like

Iā€™d be amazed if it happens in the next 3 years.

See? Totally expected!

Aww a bit sad about no NIAD but a big thank you for the experience. Loved every minute of the stress-filled blank screen, waiting for inspiration time.
Look forward to joining in when you are ready to re-start.
Thank you :blush:

1 Like

I mourn the loss of a writing surprise in the coming month. But, that said, I wonder if I could learn to host an NiaD? (PM)

4 Likes

A big part of my drive to do NiaD each year is to inspire people to go out and write their own stuff, so Iā€™m naturally flattered that youā€™re interested in doing something similar.

I have to say, though, Iā€™m a terrible control freak, and feel really protective of the NiaD concept and brand. As such, while Iā€™m all for people going out and writing - including collaborative writing - as much as possible (more people to talk to about writing AND more books I can read!), I would prefer that people didnā€™t try to replicate the NiaD approach with an open offer to the public - and certainly not do it here or with the NiaD brand.

I should also point out that itā€™s a ridiculous amount of work. Whatever amount youā€™re guessing, youā€™re probably out by a factor of ten. My email traffic on the day alone is typically 300-500 emails, for example. I wouldnā€™t wish the workload or the stress on my enemies let alone people I actually like!

Iā€™m very proud that weā€™ve built something that people are so passionate about, but if I can be frank for a momentā€¦ dwindling interest is a pretty significant driver as to why weā€™re stopping. Iā€™m hoping a bit of absence will make everyoneā€™s hearts grow a little fonder.

ā€¦and the second you get out of that pool they immediately start talking about how easy it must all be and start looking for another leg to nibble!
:leg::shark:

1 Like

I suppose this would be a bad time to bring up my killer NIAD idea that would perforce force Pigfender out of retirement. Too soon for the nuclear option? Yeah, okay, I thought so.

3 Likes

What if I told you Iā€™m still interested in hosting it? I can rebrand it so itā€™s not called NiaD anymore. But hands-on experience is what I want.

I guess in that circumstance, Iā€™d politely ask you not to.

1 Like