28th Oct BUG FIXING Update
We are still struggling to get through the huge number of emails and forum posts currently. We are trying our best and take considerable time to properly review each post. At the same time we are working very hard to start fixing issues where we can, some are incredibly complex such as the: import issues, changing fonts, vanishing and re-appearing text. All I can tell you is that we are doing our best and really do want to make a comment on every post. I would particularly like to thank all those individuals who posted samples - this has help us move forward in solving some of these issues. Also to many of you who are assisting others with you own experiences and guidance - you are not going unrecognised.
Liasing with so many writers is inspirational. I can see that I’m made the right choice two years ago in deciding to take a huge risk and pursue my passion for writing and software development. Thank you Scrivener community
Okay, a general update on today:
Windows XP Failure to Run Scrivener
This one is taking a long time to find the root cause. We’re very close to solving this and will certainly provide a fix as soon as we have one. However, it has nothing to do with .NET - Scrivener is built using a cross platform C++ framework called Qt (pronounced ‘cute’). The Windows 2008 C++ Redistributable package looks like it’s definitely required on these older operating systems(they are there by default on newer operating systems); however, we’re just trying to ensure we don’t miss anything others. As soon as we know you’ll know and I package a completely new installer to take care of these issues.
We have made good progress in identifying many areas where we can significantly improve the performance of Scrivener. Now it’s just a matter of getting to serious fixing mode as these will take a little time. So, that’s good news.
Context menus in Index Cards have been fixed. Also, we’ve added a Mac 2.0 feature with the ability to drag and drop folders onto each other in the Corkboard the same way you can in the binder and outliner. By default you can’t drag onto Corkboard items, but you can now change a setting in the options to allow this. This was never on the ‘Cards’ so to speak; however, it was reasonably simple to implement - so we did.
Highlighting large amounts of text then changing the font color caused Scrivener to crash. We’ve fixed this.
Spaces after paragraphs
We’ve also looked at the space after paragraphs bug. The long and short of it is that MS Word uses non-standard html when it exports so we are looking to augments our RTF parser to cater for this. So, it’s not fixed yet but will be soon. Thank for all the detailed posts on this and samples:)
We’re still having issues duplicating this; it’s not an XP font thing as we first thought - a Win7 users quickly put an end to that when they reported it too. We thinking it could have something to do with the ‘Split at Selection’ feature. An easy way to test this with missing test would be to perform a split at selection, then quit Scrivener, restart, and see if you can see any missing sections. If not, then it suggests it is split at selection (and we have a fix). If so, it means that it’s something else since the split-at-selection behaviour couldn’t survive a save and reload.
The “total word count” column wasn’t functional. It has now been fixed.
There’s a bunch of other smaller fixes which I’ll report on tomorrow, but on the whole we are making great progress.