Ok, you can see the hour, as the weekend went to finish the project of the week. Do not ask
I redid the swap of 16-version for 9-version 7zip.exe and .dll, in the expected place. I used the 32-bit versions for your reasons, while all work done on a 64-bit Win10 fatally up-to-date system. Actually, that last Win update seems very good, and I have excellent stability.
Then, I’ve imported several different kinds of exports from a pretty complicated InDesign paper. Especially docx, doc, and rtf. I’m aware I think that you’re interested in output from Scrivener, rather than import, but seemed a decent way also to get complex text. I couldn’t do it straightforwardly without buying plugins, so I exported to HTML, then had Word 2013 read that and export to a handful of formats, which it seemed to do reasonably well.
the imports to Scrivener pretty much lost embedded pictures. This probably is not at all Scrivener’s fault, rather Word’s importing a particular flavor of html. There were warnings about it, and I didn’t have time to look into those or make better. So, I embedded a fresh pic or two straight into Scrivener, in appropriate positions, and resized in Scrivener so as tofit the margins.
then, I exported to docx, doc, and rtf.
The basic thing to say is that it seems everything came through that’s expected. See what you think from these items.
all text looks all there and correct over a 20-page-plus formal paper. That includes Chinese, Korean, and Japanese characters, in addition to standard and fairly English English.
fonts in the text are correct, both Roman and Asian, for example proper Myriad and Minion on titles and body text.
there’s no connection to Word Styles, but from Windows Scrivener at this point I don’t think we expect any, unless I remember vaguely a pretty manual procedure, or redoing them with reasonable efficiency after the fact. In short, I think no problems here.
the images I put in came out well. Some different sizing between doc, docx, and rtf, but iwithin any margins, and I don’t think that’s what you’re interested in.
Rulers and their margins came through on both doc and docx, when there were any on the original, so again I think you’re ok there also.
Jennifer, I hope for usefulness here to the point that it sounds like doing your own tests.
I hadn’t time to look into why zip is involved, but I guess it may be a basis for keeping down the size of the MS protocols, binary/html or xml for docx. If that’s it, a general compression, I think results look confidence-inspiring.
Trying some other documents to beat it up should give some closure. Very easy to get the zip parts using 7zip on its own installer; I zipped up the old ones in a separate folder to hide them but keep around.
Hope this helps, and apologies time’s so limited…
p.s. and Scrivener’s backups seem to reopen fine; not sue if this 7zip is what’s used for those, and from what you asked, think not.