A crashy ui.plist file

I don’t know if this will be of any use to finding a crash bug in Scrivener for Mac, but while I was getting around to opening all my projects in Scrivener version 2.7 to update the format, I encountered a couple of projects that would crash scrivener.

For one such project, I delved into the newly updated .scriv package, and decided to delete the ui.plist file in the Settings folder (I had just made a backup, so I wasn’t worried about fiddling with the internals at this point). When I double-clicked on that project, it opened without a hitch, in a Windowed mode.

I then tried an experiment; in a project I use just for experimenting with Scrivener, I replaced its ui.plist file with the ui.plist file from the other “Backup” version of the crashing project. The experimental project crashed every time I tried to open it (just like the project from which the ui.plist file came from).

So, I’ve (re?)discovered a handy solution (I’m sure you’ve advised others to do this) to constant crashes in 2.7; delete the ui.plist file. Maybe this plist file will help you figure out the reason for the crash and fix it.

I hope this helps in some way. If you want the entire project in it’s ‘pristine’, pre-2.7 conversion state, just let me know, and I’ll send it wherever you like.

ui.txt (62.8 KB)

[size=85]Note to self: The bad ui.plist file comes from the “Shards Backup.scriv” project.[/size]

Going by the settings in that file, this might be related to a bug in Full Screen mode, if you are running 10.11.2. At this time we think it is an Apple bug, but we’ll be taking a closer look at it after the holiday.