A Mostly Complete Guide to Installing Scrivener on Linux

Hi everybody,

I posted my DEB package for Scrivener, if anyone are still interested, please check and read the README inside the download folder.

Topic: https://www.literatureandlatte.com/web/forum/viewtopic.php?p=279115#p279115.

Download: <DEB archive and dependencies v1.9.0.1-2a - amd64>

I read carefully all the adventures reported on the forum and made the archive guided by experiences of everybody.

Tested:

Debian 8 (Jessie) w/ Gnome
Debian 9 (Stretch) w/ Mate and Cinnamon
MX 17 w/ Xfce
LMDE2 Mate
LMDE3
Mint 19 Cinnamon
Xubuntu 18.4
Ubuntu 18.4

Obs.: In any distro based in Debian 9 and above, video play inside Scrivener may be restricted.

That’s it!
Salutes,
Alex…

EDIT: Tested distros.

Hi,

I have installed Scrivener on Ubuntu 18.04.4 using Play On Linux and everything was fine. But. I paid for the license and Play On Linux tells me that it can’t contact the license server, tells me to install .net. Then when I try to install .net it crashes. Now I have no scrivener, a license key that doesn’t get me anywhere and the world’s best excuse not to write! Disaster! :smiley: What to do? any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Stu

Which version did you install? I haven’t tried yet since I use the beta for now, but it’s supposed to work with the last version of dotnet on Winetricks.
Also, I would suggest to install Scrivener via Lutris. It works much better on it for me.

Update:

Now running Ubuntu Studio 20.04 on a Dell with Intel i7. This linux installation I got the Scrivener-1.9.0.1beta-x86_64_language_pack.AppImage.tar.gz from theswede’s July 11, 2021 post at:

The direct link to theswede’s dropbox is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bnsysjubsyq45ud/Scrivener-1.9.0.1beta-x86_64_language_pack.AppImage.tar.gz
I later moved the file from my Download folder to my ~/ to make a better shortcut path. I then ran:
$ tar xvf Scrivener-1.9.0.1beta-x86_64_language_pack.AppImage.tar.gz
$ chmod a+x Scrivener-1.9.0.1beta-x86_64_language_pack.AppImage
$ ./Scrivener-1.9.0.1beta-x86_64_language_pack.AppImage
And I ended up with a Scrivener quick launch icon in my Office category. All my prior work opens and everything is functioning correctly!