About Novel Standard Manuscript Format

I’ve already done about half my book, but I’d like to use the Novel Standard Manuscript Format Project option that’s available. What is the easiest way to import all my chapters into the new format? I know it’s a template option, but I’d like my work to look like the NSMF template. Thanks.

Anyone??? :frowning:

As far as I know there’s no way to ‘apply’ a template to an existing project, per se. But there’s a fairly simple workaround:

• create a new Scriv project using the NSMF template
  • drag the contents of your draft & research folders from the existing novel into the new template*
  • In the Binder of the new project, select all the documents you want to apply the format to, then go Documents -> Convert -> Formatting to default text style
  • You’ll probably have to recreate the chapter headers yourself, but that’s easily done with a copy and paste from the template’s sample folder

There may be an easier way to do this, and if so I’m sure someone will correct me :wink: But that’s the only way I can think of to do it.

*You can drag whole folders and multiple files, but don’t drag the actual top-level Draft folder, as I believe it has some special properties within each project. i.e., if you try to replace it with a different folder, you may find that Compile Draft doesn’t work properly.

That’s what I’d do too.

The template comprises two main parts: firstly, the way the folders are organised, and secondly, the compile (export) format. You can easily apply the latter to your project, as it is also provided as a saved export format. Just go to File > Compile Draft and click on “Load”, then load the Novel (Standard Manuscript Format) format. This will apply the correct export/print settings to Compile Draft.

You could then just create an empty project using the Novel template and read the instructions file at the top of the binder in that to see how to format your own project accordingly. You probably wouldn’t have to do too much.

All the best,
Keith

Thanks Antony and KB. I tried both and they worked great. Woohooo! Scrivener rocks!!!

On a side note: I work with 2 monitors. Is there any way to unattach the corkboard so that it shows up on one monitor always and then work in full–screen mode in the other? I know you can split it so that the corkboard shows up on top of what I’m writing, but I’d really like to use both monitors and was wondering if that was at all possible with the current version. Thanks again!

In the full screen Preferences you can select to have full screen open on the monitor other that the main window isn’t on if another monitor is available; be aware that if you click on the main window whilst in full screen, though, full screen will close, as it wasn’t really designed with lots of editing “behind” full screen in mind.
All the best,
Keith

On the other hand, remember that Leopard now supports scrolling of unfocused windows - so with a scroll wheel, you could scroll the corkboard on a second monitor without actually clicking on it :slight_smile:

KB: I totally missed that option in the preferences. Wow, but I do wish I could keep going between screens without the full-screen mode collapsing. Oh well, maybe in the next version? hehehehe. Thanks for a wonderful writing app. I use it almost exclusively for my creative writing, except for the tons of info I dump into DevonThink for research.

antony: Thanks, that works like a charm. I just need to make sure I need everything that I need showing in the corkboard notes for scrolling.

It’s on the vague future list for 2.0, but is unlikely to make it into any 1.x release because of the changes it would involve internally (and there are no actual plans for a version 2.0 yet :slight_smile: ).
All the best,
Keith