About Scrivener 3

That’s inherently true of the App Store. However, text expanders (TypeIt4Me etc), Libre Office, CryptoEdit, WhatSize, SuperDuper!, Alfred, Butler, 1Password, AppZapper … those are the few I’ve looked at, and all make earlier versions available.

Which is exactly what I was saying! Doesn’t matter what you call it, you’re making an older version available for those who need it.

(By the way, I started using Scrivener with 10.6 and never had a problem with it).

I use all three versions of scrivener (Win, Mac, IOS) Will there be any kind of discount if I purchase all three versions when they’re released?

We already offer a cross-grade Mac/Windows discount.

iOS Scrivener will not be issuing a new version to coincide with Mac Scrivener 3.0: it is already compatible with the 3.0 file format and was written with the 3.0 feature set in mind.

Katherine

Looking forward to 3.0 for all my devices: Windows work laptop, home Mac, iPad, and iPhone! I’m not a heavy user of Scrivener even though I bought it a while back, but it’s one of the few programs that allows me to jot and write down thoughts across the various OS platforms I use.

I didn’t read anything about this, but hopefully L&L doesn’t go the way that Ulysses did with its subscription model. When I bought Scrivener, I also bought Ulysses to see which one I wanted to use. Totally ditching Ulysses because of its move to the subscription model. I don’t mind paying for upgrades and so forth, but am NOT willing to pay a recurring fee just to use a program.

The developers have several times made it clear they have no plans to go to a subscription model.

Which brings up a question–anyone heard how that is going for them, financially?

I know Adobe is doing very well with their move to subscription-based pricing (I’m a photographer) but their case may be very different than Ulysses’. Adobe’s products are “standard” across the industry. It’s not easy to go to a different product in large part because the people you need to work with and share files with are not going. Plus all the training infrastructure available for their products.

It would seem a person could switch out of Ulysses much easier than switching out of Adobe.

As far as Scrivener’s prices, it is a strange world indeed when you can buy both the Mac and iOS versions at full price, with all their amazing capabilities, for about the same price as a decent-condition used typewriter.

–Darin

The single biggest reason for that is that Adobe’s “old model” involved selling individual licences for their software at quite absurd prices - several hundreds of pounds just for the latest Photoshop, and 4 figures for the whole Creative Suite. When they went to the CC subscription model, people who baulked at having to pay a price they couldn’t necessarily afford for a single program (or went down the ‘pirated’ route), jumped at the chance to pay a very affordable monthly fee that also gave ‘forever updates’.

Few other software suppliers that are de facto industry standards need to go down that route - MS Office comes to mind, but even there the Home and Student version seems a positive bargain compared to Adobe.

By the way, have you thought of using Affinity Photo instead of Photoshop, or are you a professional photographer?

Them, meaning L&L?

I’m not in a position to look up the original post at the moment, but Keith said the company is doing fine in his post on subscription models.

Katherine