Add colour to a style in the Editor

How do I edit the styles that are used in the editor?

I like the idea that exported styles are overridden specifically to their destination … I have not worked out bullet points yet but I am enjoying the many minor victories of the output actually matching what I thought I had asked scrivener to do!

However, one aspect has me banging my head against the desk at the moment … a styles in the editor. In particular, I would like dark green block quotes so that I can see the quoted passages clearly whilst editing. I can apply block quote style, change it to green, update the style to match the selected … BUT … when applying that updated style to a new quote, the colour does not apply.

What have I done wrong?
Thanks.

BTW. Please forgive my typos … I usually end up editing after posting … but cannot see that facility here yet.

It’s hidden behind the … at the bottom of the post. If you edit comments within a minute then Discourse (the forum software) does not announce you changed anything.

For specifics like font color, you need to set your style to “Save all formatting” :

And/Or, you can use highlight boxes for better visibility.
Those boxes are visible in the editor only. They don’t end up as part of the compiled output.

Thank you … so much to figure out before it fits into my workflow :slight_smile:

Thanks for this … the ellipsis button does not reveal editing even when pressed immediately.
It only shows ‘get a link’, ‘bookmark’ and ‘delete’ … and they are disabled.

Maybe it is time I learnt to proof-read my own tipos!!!

Or perhaps, if you don’t get that pen symbol at all, it is only because you are new here. In this case, you’ll get it after a few days.

And welcome to the forum BTW :slight_smile:

That’s weird because when I click … on my own comment the menu extends out further and includes :pencil2: which is the edit “button”. Ah except as you’re new here you are not “trusted” to edit yet. It’s a “wonderful” foilble of Discourse.

I don’t believe in typos; it’s creative spelling … because I’m dyslexic.

Please correct me if I’m off the mark here, but would a paragraph style that saves “all formatting” wipe out any character styling and/or raw formatting, such as italics and bold when applied to an existing paragraph?

1 Like

You are actually right (I think).
Although this has always been ambiguous : a “save all formatting” style that was created (or redefined) from a segment of text containing different sets of attributes wouldn’t.
[EDIT: I just tested it. I don’t know where I got that info from, but it doesn’t work like that at all. If there is any part of the text that is without italic, bold or whatever, the style is saved as having none of these attributes. (Or at least according to the quick experiment I just conducted.) So yes, you are 100% right.]
In the case here, that could lead to losses.
Most likely it’d be best to leave the style as it is, but only set it to use color boxes instead of using different font colors.

Good point.

Just to add: A “save all formatting” style created or redefined from a text segment containing different attributes (not all at the same place; italics here; bold there) is actually acting pretty weird.
Nevermind what I said before, after further testing… I just can’t make sense of it.

I think the main attribute of the style then comes from where the end of the marked text segment is…
Any attribute present in the marked segment is then not applied to pre-existing paragraphs, but not overwritten either, if already present in the paragraph to which the style is later applied.

It is actually pretty bizarre: It then leaves italics untouched, but it overwrites bold.

I gave up.