Add Page Number to FDX Export

Please update the File>Export>Files>FDX output to include a visible header and page number.

The current export template creates an empty header (no page number) and hides the header.

The attached Final Draft 12 FDX sample file contains all the XML for the header, and the header settings.
Standard screenplay format requires:

• No header/page number on page one;
  • Right justified page number at right margin of Action Element followed by a period.

Thank you for fixing this.

FD12 FDX sample.fdx.zip (6.4 KB)

1 Like

Are you perhaps using your own custom compile Format made from scratch, rather than the ā€œScript or Screenplayā€ format supplied with the software? If you examine its settings, youā€™ll note it does indeed have a right-aligned header: <$p>. and that is showing up for me in the .fdx XML as well.

I was referring to the File>Export>Files>FDX output, not Compile output.

The Scrivener User Manual (Ā§25.1) makes no mention of user-addressable export format settings, or being related to Compile settings. Is there a way for me to edit the export settings myself?

Oh I see, I missed that you were backing up to separate files rather than compiling. Yeah those options are intentionally simple, and aimed more at backing up the binder contents than producing finished and self-contained documents with headers and footers and all of that.

If that were my goal, Iā€™d set the compiler to ā€œCurrent Selectionā€ mode, in the Contents tab, and produce documents that way. With everything all set up, itā€™s just a matter of hitting āŒ„āŒ˜E + ā†©.

Thanks for the workaround.

I understand the desire to make an ā€œintentionally simpleā€ export format. However, there is no professional use case for not including page numbers and hiding the header. (The basic screenwriting template in apps like Final Draft, MMScreenwriter, FadeInPro and WriterDuet all include a header with the page number.)

So this would be an ā€œover-simplification,ā€ which I hope will be fixed.

Is there an XML export template hidden somewhere that I could edit myself?

Yeah, I get that, though where I was going with that comment is that one would be thinking of the individual snippets of a text as being more along the lines of ā€œa sceneā€, or at least some grouping of them, rather than ā€œa scriptā€, if that makes more sense of it.

And as for keeping things simple, you speak of exporting screenplays, but of the half a dozen different scriptwriting formats supported in the software (and whatever else people design and add themselves), Iā€™d wonder if one single page numbering style would suffice to address them allā€”or if in adding the checkbox it would become one of those ā€œgiven them an inchā€ moments, where not having it is a simpler answer than having it, and trying to explain why there arenā€™t now extra fields for customisation of the header/footer in all of the different export formats that support itā€¦ and next thing you know we have a tab as complex as the Page Settings compile format pane. After all you already want more than just a checkbox, since you stipulate the ā€œfirst pageā€ exemption, which surely isnā€™t always going to be applicable in cases where the .fdx files are on average 250 words long.

So overall it just makes more sense to say the feature is for backing up your outline, rather than being a screenplay production utility. For the latter, it is not too difficult to use the intended mechanism Scrivener has for producing completed and fully formatted documents.

Is there an XML export template hidden somewhere that I could edit myself?

Iā€™m not in a place to check at the moment, but Iā€™m fairly sure itā€™s all generated from source code rather than using a more complex disk-based template mechanism.

I understand your concern about feature creep.

All I want is the FDX export to be the same format as the default standard file template from Final Draft. Nothing extra.

In my daily work, I generate and receive a lot of FDX files created by many applications. They all have headers and page numbers, except FDX exports from Scrivener.

Iā€™d really appreciate it if this could be fixed.

Thanks for considering.

For anyone who has run into this problem, Iā€™ve come up with a brute-force solution while waiting for L&L to fix this.

Export your FDX file, then open it in a text processor like BBEdit or Sublime text (both are free.)

Search for this string:

<HeaderAndFooter HeaderFirstPage="No" FooterFirstPage="Yes" StartingPage="1" HeaderVisible="No" FooterVisible="No"/>

And Replace with this string:

<HeaderAndFooter FooterFirstPage="Yes" FooterVisible="No" HeaderFirstPage="No" HeaderVisible="Yes" StartingPage="1">
    <Header>
      <Paragraph Alignment="Right" FirstIndent="-0.07" Leading="Regular" LeftIndent="0.57" RightIndent="-1.25" SpaceBefore="0" Spacing="1" StartsNewPage="No">
        <Text AdornmentStyle="0" Background="#FFFFFFFFFFFF" Color="#000000000000" Font="Courier Final Draft" RevisionID="0" Size="12" Style=""> </Text>
        <Text AdornmentStyle="0" Background="#FFFFFFFFFFFF" Color="#800080008000" Font="Helvetica" RevisionID="0" Size="8" Style="Italic+Underline">YOUR HEADER TEXT GOES HERE</Text>
        <Text AdornmentStyle="0" Background="#FFFFFFFFFFFF" Color="#000000000000" Font="Courier Final Draft" RevisionID="0" Size="12" Style=""> 								</Text>
        <DynamicLabel AdornmentStyle="0" Background="#FFFFFFFFFFFF" Color="#000000000000" Font="Courier Final Draft" RevisionID="0" Size="12" Style="" Type="Page #"/>
        <Text AdornmentStyle="0" Background="#FFFFFFFFFFFF" Color="#000000000000" Font="Courier Final Draft" RevisionID="0" Size="12" Style="">.</Text>
        <Tabstops>
          <Tabstop Position="1.50" Type="Left"/>
          <Tabstop Position="4.12" Type="Center"/>
        </Tabstops>
      </Paragraph>
    </Header>
    <Footer>
      <Paragraph Alignment="Right" FirstIndent="0.00" Leading="Regular" LeftIndent="1.25" RightIndent="-1.25" SpaceBefore="0" Spacing="1" StartsNewPage="No">
        <Text AdornmentStyle="0" Background="#FFFFFFFFFFFF" Color="#000000000000" Font="Courier Final Draft" RevisionID="0" Size="12" Style=""></Text>
      </Paragraph>
    </Footer>
  </HeaderAndFooter>

You can change the YOUR HEADER TEXT GOES HERE with whatever you want either in the text editor or in Final Draft.

If you use a Macro app like Keyboard Maestro, you can automate this process. I set it up so I drop the FDX file into a folder, which triggers the conversion macro, trashes the original and saves the revised version in my writing inbox.

Hope that helps until L&L decides to fix this.