Add Page Numbers

It would be helpful to add a feature to Scrivener where the number of pages that I have written would appear at the bottom, along with the number of words and characters. This would help in giving us an idea of the number of pages we have written, or how many pages the final work will be when it is published on Amazon kindle or other media.

Thanks

Rob Robinson

You can get this information by going to Project > Project Statistics. It’s not possible to place the total number of all pages at the bottom of the window because the formatting may be different after Compile, so to be accurate, Scrivener would have to compile and count the pages in the background every time you typed a letter; and even then, the page count may be slightly different depending on how you export and what program you export to. If you use page layout mode, though, you can see how many pages there are for the current document using the current formatting (and you can use scrivenings mode to view the entire draft in page layout mode).

Hope that helps.

All the best,
Keith

I can’t find the mode you are referring to.

How do I get there. I can’t find it in the manual, but maybe I’m just blind. Thanks

View > Page View > Show Page View or “Wrap” in the toolbar (this is in Scrivener 2.x only, not in Scrivener 1.x).

Hope that helps.
All the best,
Keith

It’s referred to as “Page View” in the technical materials, so you’ll find info on it in Ch. 15 (pg. 195). It includes some tips for increasing the accuracy of the feature for page estimating, as on its own it really has little bearing out output, since Scrivener is a program that can reformat output when you compile.

For Kindle, things are going to be a little different. Word count would probably be better, actually. I’m not 100% positive what Amazon uses to determine “locations”, but it seems to be around every 128 characters. So dividing your character count by 128 should give you an estimate of final Kindle loc. size. That could vary though depending on how many graphics you use, as those get assigned loc. positions too.