Adding chapters [and whether to number them]

I added a new chapter to novel but Scrivener gave the new chapter the same number as the previous chapter. So now I have two chapter 10s. What do I need to do so that new chapters have a sequential number.

Hi. :slight_smile: Welcome to the forum.

… This took me a while to figure out.

I thought you meant you compiled and ended up with two no.10 chapters… A real, hard, how the…? But that’s not it, right?

You manually number your chapters in the binder, and you duplicated chapter 10 ?

If so, that’s not the way to go about it. Scrivener has a system to automatically number your chapters sequentially, at compile.

So just don’t number them yourself.

. . . . . .

If on the other hand your issue is indeed at compile, well then I don’t know how you managed. (The only way I know of has to be intentional.)

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Vincent_ Vincent.

And just in case you are unaware of this option - While working on your draft

• If you give your chapters (and/or scenes/docs in your draft/manuscript) meaningful names (like Jack meets Jill), you can move them all over, and never have to manually renumber a chapter title.
  • Scrivener - at compile - will auto number your chapters by either your choice of 1. binder hierarchy 2. section assignments, 3. Placeholders
  • IF you don’t want to print the “meaningful” titles, you CAN omit them from compile.It’s your choice. It’s just as easy to not print your descriptive chapter (or scene) titles as it is to print them.
  • Alternatively, you can just skip naming any (or all) binder items. The default title is “Unnamed …” but as soon as you enter text within it, it will rename itself with the first few words of either your doc, the synopsis title, or synopsis description. These will appear in a lighter italic font in your binder compared to anything you name intentionally.
  • IF you need to see chapter numbers while you work, they are easily viewd in your outliner. This numbered outline is based on your binder structure, and will appear as 1, 1.1, 1.2, 2, 2.1 etc. when expanded.
4 Likes

Many thanks to both of you for your helpful answers.

3 Likes