adding something on a map/photo

hi,
i’m a new user and i’m trying to realize how scrivener may help me. sounds good! basic work in the middle - inspirations words in the left or right, soon available when needed. great!

at this time i’m working on an article where i have to put together text, photo & maps.

i’d like highlight some places on a photo/map with (example) a circle.
can i drawn it with scrivener? i have not find any tool yet :slight_smile:

thanks for your replay

flavio

Hi flavio,

I’m afraid there is no drawing in Scrivener as it is purely a text editing app, so all images and PDF files and suchlike are just there for reference.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

hi keith,
maybe an arrow, or something to underline a particular site i’m talking about in the text?

flavio

or i can copy and paste a tool from different software? any advise?
thanks!

You can add circles and text annotations to PDFs using Apple’s Preview. In the Scrivener Binder, right-click on the PDF you wish to edit and select Edit in External Editor. In Preview, you’ll want to choose the Oval Annotation tool, which is located in the Tools menu, under Annotations. With that tool you can draw circles on the page. Incidentally, the Text Annotation tool allows you to add bits of commentary to a PDF, too. Once you’ve made whatever markings you want, just save the PDF and close it. Back in Scrivener, you’ll have to reload the PDF (just click on some other document and then back) for the changes to show up.

Easy as that; you are out of luck with arrows though – at least with Apple Preview.

thank you very much!
i’ll try this workaround soon.

fg

amberV,
i have to thank you, not just for the nice workaorund but to let me realize about how many things preview can do.
working with scrivener, photo, maps, links, seems to be a breeze. my previous ideas (usually forgotten in a lot of files and places) are just at my side.
i am currently playing (not just working) with an archeological research in order to realize what i can do and how with scrivener. first responses appear to be fine.
i hope you’ll be able to introduce even raw draw capability in order to underline some spots in pictures, maps or documents, very useful and faster than your (lovely, again) workaround in a future release, but i am glad for the very first day playing around.

thanks for the good job

fg

Well the important thing to realise with Scrivener is that it is a text editor that, unlike most text editors, lets you store multimedia research right along with the rest of the project. When it comes to writing and editing a project, Scrivener is tops – but it really is not designed to be an editor for all things – just the text part. So three key principles:1. Multimedia dropped into the Scrivener Binder becomes a part of that project. The file is literally copied into the project bundle. This means you can take your entire collection with you simply by grabbing the Scrivener project file and burning it to a CD-ROM.

1. Because media is copied into the project, you can make changes or delete those files without worrying about harming the originals.
  2. Scrivener will never be able to edit multimedia. There are plenty of excellent applications out there for doing this sort of thing, many free ones too. Making a change to some media component of a project is as simple as opening it in the appropriate editor using the method suggested, and then saving it.
    You might see the ability to draw an arrow onto a PDF as a simple addition, but it is actually pretty complicated, and once you open the door to editing one type of file, there is little justification for not turning every media viewer in Scrivener into a full-fledged editing program. Static reduction for audio clips, photo retouching, non-linear video editing. These are all things that can be useful for cleaning up gathered research or notes, but all entirely outside of the scope of a program designed to help you keep them organised. Think of the non-Draft areas of the Binder as something like Finder with some extra organisational features for writers, such as index cards, keywords, and so on. Finder does not itself edit the files, but is a gateway to opening up files in the appropriate editing application.

Hopefully that makes more sense, and in that sense, this really isn’t a work-around, but the way in which you are supposed to handle multimedia.

ok, understand your way. i thought that adding simple and basic tools might be not so complicated, but i am not a software developer, of course.

thanks for the explanation, your advise was enough to let me go on and this is important to me. also the fast replay.

by the way: what do you mean for LATTE? in my language it means (you know very well) “milk”.

Actually, I am not the developer, just the messenger of bad news, in this case. :slight_smile: This topic has come up before on the forums, so I know what the answer is.

In many English speaking countries (and perhaps even beyond that these days) that have been touched by the scourge of Starbucks Coffee Shops, Latte has become a standard short form for caffé latte, an espresso beverage mixed with quite a lot of steamed milk – but if latte means ‘milk,’ to you, you probably already knew that last part. :slight_smile:

So, literature and coffee. It is probably better than “Literature and Brandy and Cigarettes,” which might be more realistic. Or around here, “Literature and Pinot Noir.”

oh that’s great. everybody can arrange the name as he/she likes. i will use literature and oranges & g. gould :slight_smile:)

Thanks for fielding this one, Amber (again).

Hmm, maybe “Literature & Looking-out-of-the-window-waiting-for-inspiration”?

waiting for the “right” window, showing inspiration for real (and for good :slight_smile:)

anyway i’m still working on my brand new project, collecting info on the field and back home from google. scrivener let me organize everything i propose (until now and thanks to your help).
at this moment it seems to me a reliable instrument, easy to work, interface friendly and probably i’m missing a lot of tools simply because i did not have enough time to realize.

is this beta an almost v. 1.0 version or there will be some changes (interface or something)?

fg

Hmm, maybe “Literature & Looking-out-of-the-window-waiting-for-inspiration”?
[/quote]

It is very nearly 1.0. All that remains is for me to finish off the Help file - only a few pages to go.
Best,
Keith

it seems to be already fine. why change?

:slight_smile:

fg

ehmm: one more thing i cannot find by myself:
between different DRAFT or RESEARCH fileworks, may i use different magnification(the number at the end of the page)?
say one @ 75% and another 150 or 110%

thanks

fg

The only places where magnification is stored differently is between the regular editor splits and full screen. So you could, if you wanted, set up a split with one magnification and load your research documents into that split, and your draft documents into another. These three values are stored in between sessions, even if you close the split.

Afraid not - the magnification applies to the view, not to the documents inside it. You can however, have a different magnification in the different split viewss (for instance, 100% in the top view and 200% in the bottom view).
Best,
Keith

AmberV and Keith, thanks again.
tomorrow 8.00 am local time trip in the open country for on the field research. winter country :frowning:
good night :slight_smile:

fg

Keith,

A quick question about split views and magnification. With a pdf in a split view, when I select “size to fit” the pdf doesn’t fit the split window but I think attempts to fit a normal-sized window. I have to manually zoom in or out to get it to readable size. I assume this is part of what is built into Apple’s pdf ‘kit’ and is to be expected? I was hoping it would make the pdf fit into the split window (usually I split horizontally).

Thanks,

Alexandria