An interesting problem with Wine & product registration

Yeah, but I’m wondering if it’s back, since there are some custom dlls from the C++ redistributable in the Scrivener folder.

winehq.org/announce/1.3.34

Hrm. Bunch of new fixes, including the ones I think were making Scrivener so unstable. Think I’ll wait for another version.

It is now 2019, August, and I have the same or similar issue. I have installed dot net 4.0 to 4.62 in my Wine container and Scrivener has been working wonderfully. My daughter purchased it for me for my birthday and I now want to activate the license. I am told that TLS 2.1 is not enabled and it cannot connect to the license server.

I am at wits end at this point. Yes I use Ubuntu. Microsoft has it’s own version of Linux. Apple uses a UNIX derivative. There should be LINUX support. I was able to download FadeIn perfectly. It is nice, but my daughter gave me Scrivener for a present and I would like to get it working. Can anyone help me?

I’ve got the same problem: Scrivener is running fine under LinuxMint using WINE 4.0, but only in trial mode.

When I fill in my registration credentials in the pop-up window when Scrivener starts, I get an error message. There appears to be a problem with Paddle, the helper programme that Scrivener calls on to handle payments and licenses, not with Scrivener itself. Apparently, Paddle requires Transport Layer Security 1.2 to operate safely. It sounds logical then that TLS 1.2 should be activated, and the question remains: how does one do that on a Linux system?

I also posted this question on the WINEhq forum, where people are helpful, but are also assuming that you know your way around Linux, which I don’t, just yet.

I’m a Linux newbie and I find it hard to get to grips with this problem. I would be grateful for any help.

Typically, the TLS version is handled by the application and the requests that it makes to the underlying framework, assuming the framework supports them. I would suspect this is why the Paddle code requires a minimum of .NET 4.5 to be installed – to provide TLS 1.2 support.

If you have not used the winetricks advice given in other threads on the forum to ensure that you have AT LEAST .NET 4.5, preferably .NET 4.6.2 or even the latest version of .NET 4.7 installed, then you should do so.

Solved!
Believe it or not, my registration credentials got accepted by Paddle, and I’m now running my registered copy of Scrivener via WINE 4.0 under LinuxMint.

Thank you Devinganger for your pointer. As you recommended, I installed .NET, and that proved to be the answer.

For those who, like me, are Linux novices but are willing to spend some time on this, here is what I did.

• I went to Software Manager and installed Winetricks
  • I ignored the messages about 32-bit and 64-bit prefixes (did not understand them; I’ve got a 64-bit system)
  • In Winetricks, I selected the default wineprefix (without understanding what it meant)
  • I clicked Select a Windows dll or component
  • I scrolled down to find dotnet 4.6.1
  • and selected Install
  • What follows is a lengthy procedure - say, one hour - where successive versions of .NET are installed, with worrying popups which you can ignore and click OK on, and where for long stretches of time, nothing seems to be happening (apart from the frantically blinking harddisk LED)
  • Whenever an “accept this end user agreement” window pops up, click ‘have read and accept’. This occurs for every successive version of .NET. It is apparently a cumulative process, ending with the installation of the .NET version (4.6.1) that I selected.
  • When that final version has been installed at last, and no more popups are forthcoming, close all apps or whatever they are called in Linux parlance, and restart your computer.
  • Fire up Scrivener, fill in your registration data, wait for that slooow connection to check everything, and hopefully, receive a message like the one I got.

activation-success.png

Thank you for the kind words, but there are a lot of very enthusiastic Linux supporters here in the forums who did the hard work of piecing together what was necessary.