Anything to share about Scrivener 3.0?

Gosh, you guys play hardball. :slight_smile: Some little hints to feed the fans of your work - just once in a while - would be nice and so desired. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

The hen is the wisest of all the animal creation, because she never cackles until the egg has been laid. So said famous software developer Abraham Lincoln.

Yeah, actually Abra is right … I guess I know this guy from a dart competition in a pub near Stuttgart (Germany). 8)

Is your team planning to run a beta-program on Scrivener 3 for Mac?

As far as I’m aware, their beta program for major releases is by invitation only. I’ve never seen them post it publicly that I can recall. More minor revisions sometimes are posted to viewforum.php?f=17, but it’s been a while since the last open beta.

I have seen hints that v3 for Mac might come out this year, but that the Windows version 3 will likely be months behind it. Also, I think the more open teasers for version 2 for Mac may have soured them on the practice; there’s a copycat developer who would use screenshots to create features that had the same look in advance of the Scrivener release, making it appear as if Keith were the copycat. And I’m not talking about borrowing a few ideas; it almost looks like a different release of Scrivener 2 itself.

NOTE: This is my own take on the developer-who-shall-not-be-named… No one at Lit & Lat has expressed any opinion on developers completely aping Scrivener’s design. In fact, Keith’s pretty magnanimous about competitors (see the entire page of alternatives to Scrivener posted on Lit & Lat’s own site: literatureandlatte.com/links.php), and so as a fan of his work, I may be more upset about it than he will ever be.

In May, “this year” was stated for the next major update.

In September, the tutorial for V3 was being written.

Be great to see V3 this year, but Keith’s recent post makes it sound as though 2017 is more likely.

Like most people, I’d rather have it well baked than undercooked. :smiley:

I know that a beta testing is going on. Not participating in it though :cry: as my trusty old MacBook (late 2009) won’t run Sierra. Still happy with excellent 2.8 and iOS, but curious if also the final release will run only with OS Sierra. Has anyone picked up anything on that? Could decide if I’ll need to invest in new hard-ware. As I said, my present set-up gets the job done, but I’m sure that 3.0 will include plenty of goodies (and give me an excuse to take another look at MacBook 12in).

Scrivener 3.0 will use the 64-bit Apple libraries. This should improve stability and reliability – Apple seems to be letting maintenance of the 32-bit stuff slip – but it will impact backward compatibility.

Katherine

Hi Katherine,

Does it mean Scriv 3.0 will introduce or change the current container format (project file) once released?
Will it still be compatible to the iOs version for syncing or does your team plan a general update for both platforms once Scriv 3 is ready?

Greetings,
Thomas

The project format will change.

The iOS version already understands the new format, as Scrivener 3 was already well underway when iOS Scrivener was written.

Cross-platform Windows-Mac users may want to delay updating until Scrivener 3 is available for both.

Katherine

Now you tell me! I bought a used Mac Mini off Amazon earlier this week because the aging collection I have are all too old to run Apple’s latest and greatest OS version.

…kidding. Well, not about buying the used Mac, or why. I have to have the latest version of MS Office on a Mac so I can help support Outlook for my day job, and my ancient iMac has been slower than molasses lately – and the Mac Mini will fit into my KVM and let me use my lovely 34" monitor and clicky expensive keyboard, not sit there like the iMac taking up precious desk space and requiring a separate screen. So actually finding a relatively new Mac Mini with 10GB of RAM for a decent price just gave me the excuse I needed to pull the trigger. :slight_smile:

Hi,

Just read more details about the coming APFS which is a modern filesystem for the Mac, supposed to replace the old HFS+, which was developed when floppy disks had their golden age.

developer.apple.com/library/con … ction.html

Since the APFS release has been announced for early 2017, I wonder if the new file system will work well with the coming Scrivener 3.0.

Greetings,
Thomas

Scrivener doesn’t do anything special with the local filesystem. It just creates files & folders and expects instantaneous access to any file that the user might select via the binder.

Scrivener works fine on various Windows filesystems, so there’s no reason to believe that it’ll fail on a new Mac FS unless the file system has some serious bugs–in which case it’ll affect a lot of other programs, including OS-level services. I’m sure Keith and company will do some testing before release, but I’d be more worried about Dropbox (if you use it) than Scrivener.

He probably already knows that; it looks like he’s still fishing for more details on 3.0 after being told multiple times L&L will release information when they’re ready.

Why wouldn’t it? Why wouldn’t any program?

The whole point of the operating system is to shield the application programs from this level of detail. Scrivener doesn’t know what the file system is, and doesn’t need to care.

(Yes, I agree that the poster is probably fishing. But some people might actually be confused on this point.)

Katherine

Hi Kathrine, All,

The “poster” has a name - he’s called “Thomas”. :wink:
No, I am not fishing and won’t ask any more questions since it’s not taken seriously.
This one just came up because in the Support forum of Quark XPress (DTP App) it has been discussed too and the technical support was recommending not to update to the new APFS right away when available since there may be some adjustments needed to the App, to make it work without issues. Since Quark XPress projects have a similar complex format structure and can grow pretty huge, too, I was just wondering if this has any impact to my large Scrivener project files - either for good or bad. Sorry if I asked a stupid question but since the new file system format is a serious change and even not compatible to earlier macOs versions, I though to better ask.
Sorry if it appeared to be boring …

Regards,
Thomas

Was neither boring nor stupid to me, Thomas. Glad you asked and glad you got an answer. Knowledge is good.

Yes, at this time, I am preferring to use Dropbox for syncing, not considering iCloud Drive or macOs Desktop sharing (last of both seem to work at least “reasonable” between my macs but not reliable).

So even if I’m running the risk to be under suspicion for fishing again, why do you see an issue with Dropbox coming?

Greetings,
Thomas

Dropbox has to be much more aware of the implementation details of the filesystem to do what it does than most applications do; hence, it has to hook into the filesystem APIs. Applications by and large don’t have to – they just have to use the filesystem and can ignore the messy implementation details. Think of it like kids eating at summer camp – most kids will just line up at mealtime and eat the food presented, but the kid with food allergies has to be more aware of what’s going on in the kitchen.

As long as they keep consistent file, folder, and metadata semantics, Scrivener will probably be just fine.

I don’t see any issues with Dropbox coming. But on a continuum of risk from “Hakuna Matata” to “DANGER, WILL ROBINSON!” derived from a new file system, Scrivener is nearer to No Risk than Dropbox, because Scrivener does entirely mundane things with files and folders, whereas Dropbox has to rely on services from the OS to effectively monitor changes to files and folders.

In most instances, I think of risk in terms akin to “micromorts*” rather than binary on/off states. Being “more” worried is just a state of worry relative to whatever your baseline is for worrying.

[size=85]* sciencealert.com/this-unit-o … activities[/size]