Archived Project is missing files

When I opened the project I’m working on, at least one folder is missing. When I tried to use the backup file, it says The document:
“Walking Symbols Working Copy 12Feb24.scrivx” could not be opened.

“Walking Symbols Working Copy 12Feb24.scrivx” is the main structure file for a project, but other required files for this project could not be found: the \Files\Data and \Settings folders are missing.

Can anyone help me with this?

Where is/was that archive ?
The cloud?
Make sure to download and have the whole of the project’s folder locally on HD.

1 Like

In addition, is the backup file a “zip” and therefore needs to be unzipped before use?

3 Likes

For clarity:
Walking Symbols Working Copy 12Feb24.SCRIV is a folder containing your project.
Walking Symbols Working Copy 12Feb24.SCRIVX is your project file in the aforementioned parent folder. This is a control file pointing to your project work.
Other folders in the parent folder should be Files, Icons, Settings and Snapshots.
The Files folder contains a subfolder called Data in which are (potentially) hundreds of further folders with gobbledygook titled folders 32 characters and number combinations long-- they’re sets of 8-4-4-4-12 long.
Each of those folders contains a Content.rtf file, which is your actual work. One Binder item per its parent folder. But since its parent is not a human identifiable name, on observation, the best way to find the work Scrivener last automatically saved would be to sort on the Date Modified column header in the Data folder, using File Explorer.

With that in mind, from your backup:
Unzip the Walking Symbols Working Copy 12Feb24.scriv folder.
To do this, drag the project folder (no other tools are required) out of a ZIP folder to where you want your project to reside, e.g. to a folder on your hard drive called Documents\Scrivener Projects. Create it if it doesn’t exist.
With the Walking Symbols Working Copy 12Feb24.scriv folder in its new location, open the folder and double-click on the Walking Symbols Working Copy 12Feb24.scrivx file. It should open your project—if the File and Settings folders are also part of the parent (.SCRIV) folder.
On next use of Scrivener, you can start the app from the Start Menu or Taskbar shortcuts.

However:
If the Files folder and Settings folder are missing from the parent Walking Symbols Working Copy 12Feb24.scriv folder, no one would be able to assist you because it means you’ve either deleted those folders or moved the Walking Symbols Working Copy 12Feb24.scrivx file out of the parent folder.
In that case it’s advisable to go to an older backup, which hopefully exists.

1 Like