I find it really helpful to have chapter numbers visible in the Binder, so I’ve been including them in my document titles. “Chp 1 - A Dark & Stormy Night”, “Chp 2 - The Plot Thickens” etc. Then I compiled my draft and realized that Scrivener automatically inserts chapter numbers during compile! Nifty!
Is there any way to make the numbering visible in the binder, without the need to compile?
I find numbers especially helpful when I search the document, and I’m looking to see how frequently a given item appears. If I see chapters 1, 3, 5, 10, and 11 come up, I realize there’s a gap between 5 and 10 that I need to fill.
Thank you so much for everything you do for Scrivener. It has been such a humongous help I can’t even say.
There are more details in this thread (which it should be noted has Mac-specific information, the card numbering feature isn’t available yet on Windows, but will be), but I’ll paste the most relevant part here:
So really the only way to do this is actually compile, and with all of the miles of logical instructions that go into doing that this of course makes compiling to get these numbers a process that takes too long to insert into many actions you’d take. Imagine having to wait fifty seconds after adding a new folder so that it can be numbered correctly. Compile may not take that long for you now, it may never for this project, but some larger projects may even take half an hour or more to fully compile—extremes aside, even a tiny 0.5 second lag would annoying almost everyone.