Auto numbering -- on the fly?

First off, I love Scrivener. Oh how I love it. The moment you start accepting payment you will have mine. I only regret that I started to seriously look into it about two weeks after paying for Ulysses. Ouch. But this is the program I will be finishing my book in. It’s amazing.

Anyway.

Is it possible, by any chance, that automatic numbers (a la <$R>) could show up on screen as well as in print, at least when the text field in question does not have editing focus? I am using the numbers in my document names in the binder, but it is rather awkward seeing “Part <$R> – etc.” in the binder, corkboard, and outline, when ideally I would see “Part I – etc.” Of course when I selected the name to edit I would need to be presented with the code again.

I realize this may require too much coding to make it into version 1.0–it’s probably tricky to recalculate these on the fly–but I thought it was worth asking. At the moment it disrupts, ever so slightly, an otherwise stunningly elegant user experience.

Hi,

Thanks for your positive comments about Scrivener. :slight_smile: Unfortunately it is very difficult to show the auto-numbering as you wish, mainly because auto-numbers can appear anywhere - in text, in notes, in title fields etc. It is especially difficult in the main text editor, where the actual text itself would have to be changed every time this was updated, which would throw undo out of the window. So, for the foreseeable future I’m afraid you’ll have to live with the variables, though if a better solution presents itself (perhaps with updates to the OS) then I will look into it.

Best,
Keith

Thanks, I can imagine how tricky this would be to implement. Word manages to do it, but Word is also a bloated mess.

Thanks again for producing this app. I’m sure you’ve priced it carefully, but I have to say, for those of us who have the good fortune to be paid to write it’s worth at least twice the announced price. I’m not complaining though!

Thanks, I can imagine how tricky this would be to implement. Word manages to do it, but Word is also a bloated mess.

Thanks again for producing this app. I’m sure you’ve priced it carefully, but I have to say, for those of us who have the good fortune to be paid to write it’s worth at least twice the announced price. I’m not complaining though!

Thanks! As for Word, remember that Word’s auto-numbers are only contained within one document, not within other panes such as notes and outline titles. And, of course, Word has the benefit of a large team of engineers who have worked on it for a couple of decades, whereas with Scrivener, it’s just me, myself and I squeezing development time in around the day job for the past couple of years. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

I, too, love Scrivener, or at least am infatuated with it but I’m confident love will grow as I become more familiar with it. I’ve just started trying it out, and the only thing I miss so far from my previous failed relationships is the inability to see hierarchical numbers in the outline views. (Re previous relationships: outlining/styles have too steep a learning curve for me in Mellel; Nisus Writer Express so far lacks outlining altogether; OmniOutline is, well, only an outliner; Word is out of the question)

I appreciate what you say about the difficulty of including on-screen auto-numbers. I can’t comment on that (other than to say, “Aw, shucks!”), but I can say that not being able to see them makes it much harder to make use of what is usually one of the strongest features of outlining – the ability to re-organize very large documents very easily.

The binder and the outliner are really only intended for structuring a long document - although they are based in part on the way outliners such as OmniOutliner work, they were never intended to be “true” outliners as such. By this I mean that in an outliner it would be reasonable to assume that the hierarchy would have some sort of auto-numbering system, akin to a bulleted list. In Scrivener, however, the outline metaphor is really just a convenient way of structuring something that lies beneath the outliner. The binder gets its name from the fact that it is supposed to be the electronic equivalent of a ring-binder. Each document and subdocument may represent a chapter, a section within a chapter, a paragraph or even a single line - it is entirely up to the user. And I doubt anybody would want each paragraph numbered - or at least, Scrivener doesn’t expect it. :slight_smile: Scrivener is really about drafting, and more traditional word processing and outlining features are therefore outside of its scope - including auto-numbering in the outline. Of course, you can create auto-numbered lists within a document, but I understand that this is not what you are after. The beauty of the current system is that you can choose exactly which documents get auto-numbered - though, yes, those numbers will not show up until the document is exported.

All the best,
Keith