Auto-Numbering the binder

Hi everyone,

I’m using Scrivener in French (Version 2.6). I use it to write comic books (maybe you’ve heard of Snowpiercer ? Well, I wrote the fourth issue entirely on Scrivener). To do so, I use the template created by Antony Johnston, which works just fine for me.

As you might know, when you write a comic book, you need every new page of the comic book to be a new file in the binder. That is because, unlike for a novel, you really need to know on what page you are while writing. It is important for at least two reasons :

• Most of the time your comic will have a precise number of pages you can’t exceed.
  • And above all, it’s really important to know wether you are on a left page or on a right page (meaning an even or uneven page), because comic books are visual and have to take that into account.

This is why I manually number every file in the binder : so that I can know in a glance on which page I am. But, as you can imagine, it can really be frustrating when I delete, add, or move a page or an entire sequence : I have to manually re-number every file down to the end, hoping not to make any mistake (which, it turns out, I almost always do). And when you work on a script like Snowpiercer, you work on 220 pages !

So, my question is : is there a way of auto-numbering the files in the binder, or a way of just adding a fixed column with numbers on the side of the binder, so that one can always know on what page one is working ? That would be a great help !

Thanks a lot !

Oliviou

(I attached a photo of a small part of my binder, so that you can see what I’m talking about).

Welcome to the forums. I hope you do not take it against me that I first heard of Snowpiercer via the film that came out in 2013. :slight_smile:

I can imagine that manually numbering hundreds of pages like that would be maddening. There is a way of getting a sequence of objects automatically numbered, it may work for you. You’ll need to view your pages list as a Corkboard, and then use the View/Corkboard Options/Show Card Numbers menu command to enable the feature. The “Number Per Section” option below that is for if you sort pages into folders (say by “Act”). Then if you preferred you could click on Act 1 and Act 2 and view the contents of the two folders on the Corkboard, and either have the numbers contiguous or restarting for each folder.

But, it will work best if you keep everything in one folder since this feature does not number cards as they will be printed when you compile, but rather relative to the cards you are viewing. I.e. if you click on Act 2 by itself, the first card will be “1”, not “52” or whatever.

Given that part of what you are looking to do is find the number while you are working on a page, here is a trick: the View/Go To/Enclosing Group menu command (or just Ctrl-Cmd-R) will go “up” a layer in the Binder and select the card that you were working before. Thus if you have things set up to work with this feature, you can just press that shortcut, reference the page number, and then click the “Back” button to go back to where you were (or press Cmd-[).

Hopefully some of that is helpful. We may increase the power of this feature in the future, perhaps even bringing it to Outliner view as well, but there are important considerations in why we do not print the actual “as printed” number, given how powerful the Compile feature is for selecting what is compiled. So no matter what, this capability will probably always remain “relative” and artificial to what you would get if you typed added an auto-number counter like <$n> in your compile settings and compiled.

Dear AmberV,

The solutions you gave to my problem -while not exactly what I was looking for- are exactly what I needed !

I’ll work with that, and I already know that the shortcut Ctrl-cmd-R is going to be one of my favorites. It will save me countless re-numbering and mistakes.

Thanks a lot !

O.

Yeah, that’s definitely one of my favourite shortcuts as well! Glad to hear the existing tool is workable.