Auto-Updating Document Names in the Binder

This is a minor issue, but it’s driving me a bit nuts—when I edit or delete the first line of a document, the binder keeps displaying the old version of that line as the document name. Sometimes it reflects the change after some time, sometimes it doesn’t. Is there any way to get the binder to consistently update as soon as a change is made to the file? Thanks!

No, that’s not how it works. You manually name the title in the binder. If the title is “Untitled” - the default title of new documents - then it will update to the first line of the text the first time it is saved if “Automatically name untitled text documents upon save” is ticked in the Preferences (a user request), but that’s all.

However, a true auto-titling system which will do exactly what you want is coming in a future version.

All the best,
Keith

Ah, I see. Well, that’s something to look forward to, then. :slight_smile: Thanks for that!

Is that a happy water molecule? :exclamation:

Could be, he certainly is a happy whatever-he-is. :smiley:

Meanwhile - any chance the auto-titling system could include rules or options to exclude certain characters like tabs or apostrophes?

I’ve just today run in to the issue of zip files created on the Mac confusing the hell out of some windows users with “What are all these .DS_Store files? What’s this __MACOSX folder? Why are the files all encrypted?”

I found a couple nifty automator workflows to get around all that - problem is they break when the filename has an apostrophe (possibly other characters, I gave up at that point).

Currently zipping manually in the Terminal now, but if the auto-titling system could have an option to ignore certain characters, that’d be great.

Yeah, yeah, I know, just don’t make titles with tabs and apostrophes - but the titles are auto generated from the text when I Import & Split, and there’s 100’s of them so too many to adjust manually. And I’m exporting the individual files after editing, so the titles in Scrivener become the filenames.

I actually currently use a keyboard maestro macro to go through the project and shorten the titles and remove tabs, I’ll have to see if I can figure out a solution for the apostrophes as well - but if that could be baked right into Scrivener, it would just be that much easier.

Edit: Actually nevermind - I didn’t think that one through completely (just focused on the immediate problem and didn’t think through all the implications). I’m sure I can find a way to bulk rename the problem files in the finder.

There will be a command to nuke selected titles from documents, thus allowing them to become dynamic.

Try the free archival tool, Keka. There are options to omit Mac junk, so it’s a nice tool if you tend to share .zip files with PC users. Or just use Terminal. I did that for years as well. :slight_smile: