Autonumbering the items in the binder

Hi, is it possible to automatically number the items in the binder? Either nested like a numbered list (1.0, 1.1, 1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.2 etc) or just in order (so if 5 folders held 3 documents each the whole list would be numbered from 1 to 20).

It would help me get a sense of scale when I’m moving through the binder, as I sometimes end up with 100+ items in it and lose track of how far into the document I’m working.

Sorry to say there is no feature for that. It would be nice indeed, but given how flexible the compiler is, numbering items in a sense that would pair with what you get when you print would render the interface unusably slow. Basically the only way to accurately do that would be to compile the entire work in the background every time you add an item or move it around in the binder. That would be unacceptable delay in even the smallest of projects.

Shame, thanks for that. I’ve kind of found a work around by printing the outline to PDF and then re-importing it, so I can do that every so often.

I’m not sure about the link to the compiler though, unless it’s something intrinsic to the way that Scrivener works beneath the surface. All I’d be looking for is the part of the software that displays the binder to append the appropriate number to the front of the items’ names, I wouldn’t want the compiler to work any differently.

I should mentioned that we will be adding options to display numbering in the editor group views (not the binder). These will be “dumb” numbers in the sense that they count all of the objects in the view and put numbers in front of them, starting at 1. So if you click on Chapter 53, the first subdocument in the chapter group would be “1”, but if you click on the entire Draft and view it as a large outliner session, everything in the draft would be counted sequentially.

If every numbered item in your Draft folder will be compiled in one form or another, and all levels of the outline use the same numbering scheme, then some basic numbering tool like I described above may be good enough. Actual compile numbering however does have issues that are intrinsic to the design of the software. If you want to look over some of the reasons, here is an older post with some explanation of the various difficulties posed by a system that is designed to produce fully numbered documents through some lengthy export process.