Avenir 2.3 beta

Hello folks,

I don’t know how many of you are familiar with Avenir, but it is a piece of writing software written by Todd Ransom, who is also the developer behind MarinerSoft’s Montage (new OS X screenwriting software). There are similarities between Scrivener and Avenir, as Todd, like myself, is an aspiring writer who is mainly trying to create a piece of software that works for him, but he is also very responsive to his users. There are also a lot of differences in our approaches, naturally, given that we have different workflows. I have a feeling that the next version of Avenir will feature a view-multiple-entries-as-one-text feature, though, as we have swapped ideas on this and Montage already has it. Anyway, the point of this post, is that Todd has released an early beta of Avenir 2.3, and it looks really interesting - it has a very cool “ice blue” look that I quite envy. If you want to check it out, Todd posted the beta over on his Avenir forums:

returnself.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.0

Obviously, I’m not trying to lose myself any future customers here, but Avenir looks like it will be a solid alternative to Scrivener if Scrivener doesn’t meet your needs, and if you’re anything like me, you will want to check out all of the writing software out there anyway. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith

EDIT: I forgot to mention that it also has a pretty sexy new icon.

:blush:

That is unbelievably kind of you, Keith. Thanks for the good pub and good luck with Scrivener. It looks great!

Todd
returnself.com/

No problem, Todd - I’ve enjoyed swapping ideas with you and wish you the best of luck with both Avenir and Montage.
Thanks and all the best,
Keith

P.S. The new website looks great!

I just wanted to bump this by posting a better link to Avenir’s betas, which have been getting updated pretty often recently. Here’s the announcements forum, which has the most recent beta:

Announcements forum

The latest beta (beta 9) features some pretty cool changes, such as a contextual menu that allows easy access to anything attached to a scene. Worth a look-see for those who like Avenir.

Just wanted to note that Avenir 2.3 is officially out of beta.

Carry on. :slight_smile:

Avenir is only $17.99 today (7-16-07) at Maczot.

I like the time based outline feature. Nice.