Best practices for two simultaneous versions of a script?

I’m developing a “junior” version of a musical that I write using Scrivener. The new version will share some scenes with the main version, and have its own versions of others. I’d rather not fork it off into its own Scrivener project if I can avoid doing so.

Does anyone have tips for letting two versions of a work happily co-exist within the same Scrivener file? Perhaps using tags or some other categorization that allows me to easily compile one version versus the other?

Thanks in advance!

Collections.
They allow to reorganize variants of the binder and can be compiled as they are.
. . . . . .

You could also design a section type for what belongs as it is in both versions, then a section type for what belongs to version A, one for what belongs to version B, and exclude A or B, as needed, at compile.
. . . . . . .

The collection option would allow you to see only the content of a said version.
(Editing a document that belongs to both versions would reflect in the other version.)

The section type option would allow you to see both versions, all the time, as a single linear project.
(You could still exclude documents exclusive to a version or the other using project search with the right criteria. - Search for the section type you don’t want to see, and invert the search result.)

1 Like

Brilliant; thanks. I use Collections, but usually for supplementary materials like marketing documents. I didn’t think of them for using actual script pages.

I’ll RTFM from here on out, but it sounds like you’re saying that it’s possible or easy to compile just the script pages that are in a given Collection. That would solve my problem nicely.

1 Like

image

→ In those screenshots “New Collection” is the name of my collection.
(Just so there is no confusion : I am not creating a new collection at this point…)

1 Like

A followup question about using the “one Collection for each script version” approach:

My two script versions each have their own slightly different front matter as well. My thought was that I could simply include the corresponding front matter documents in each Collection. I would de-select the “front matter” option in the Compile menu and simply bundle those items along with the script pages.

The problem that arises is that the page count now starts with the front matter documents, and the first page of the script proper is now Page 6. Are there any ways to remedy this and have the page numbers start with the proper script pages?

Normally you can set the body page counter and printed page numbering to start at page 3… 4… 5… 6… whatever.
I don’t know what I did wrong (why I can’t get it to start further than page 2), but with a little luck you’ll be able to set it to start on the right page at your end.

1 Like

I have been informed that for technical reasons, compiling to RTF, DOC, DOCX or ODT (at least under Windows) you only have control on a different header for page one. (As in my previous screenshot.)

So, if it is also the case for Mac, either compile to another format that allows it (PDF, print…), or tweak your headers in whatever other text editor you intend to use, having compiled your project to one of the editable formats I mentioned above. (RTF etc.)

1 Like