Bug/Corruption: Right Click in Binder Crashes Scrivener

Hello,

I seemed to have corrupted my Scrivener. I was formatting my Binder in a project and wanted Text Files with no name to make the division between sections even more obvious, so I hit the space bar and enter. This worked for one of the Text Files, but Scrivener froze after I did it again. When I opened it back up it froze every time I right-clicked on any Folder or Text in my binder. I can still do everything else, but right-clicking anywhere in the Binder is a no-go.

The big problem is that this now happens with every single one of my Scrivener files that I’ve worked on over the last few years. It isn’t only the file I was working in when I seemingly created the incident. Please help.

Did you reboot your computer?

And also, what if you drag that one file to the trash then close Scrivener and reload?

Perhaps next time name your files _ or *******************
and also try “show as binder separator”.

I am wondering how much of this is just a coincidence that doesn’t have much to do with spaces in the names—some bigger issue that cropped up around the same time. The main factors are:

• Multiple projects impacted: that shouldn’t ever happen. There is no cross-project search index or anything that might allow one project to make all projects stop opening or functioning properly. Although one thing not mentioned that might be a factor is if this misbehaving project is always open along with other projects.
  • What you describe shouldn’t cause an issue in the first place. At least I have no problems that crop up from putting a single space into an item title. I tried adding several of them like that and everything works fine: right-click, the commands that would navigate to binder items and list them by name, etc.

One thing to do is open File ▸ Options..., and in the General: Warnings tab, enable Show internal log console and restart. That will cause a window to pop up when you launch the next time that dumps a bunch of information out as you do things. If you’re running into something that it reports about or around, it might give a clue.

Meanwhile, if you can get into options, I’d use the Manage button in the bottom right to save out a copy of your settings as a file, and then do a full uninstall/reinstall. That will wipe everything except your registration info back to factory defaults. Might as well at least start from there and see if it continues. You can use the same button to import your settings later, which you’d want to save until you’ve confirmed whether the problem goes away or not with default settings.